New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LinP

New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Post by LinP »

Hi all,

I've just joined here and downloaded the C25K app because my terrible fitness level has been getting to me for ages and i want to feel stronger.

I'm 40 and have children. I'm a happy weight (9st and 5' 4'') but couldn't be more unfit if I tried.

I drive everywhere. I feel like I'm dying going up 3 flights of stairs (I don't smoke).

Can I do this? Is this geared for people who have zero body strength and haven't moved in years??

My youngest has started pre school.i now have the time to do it. I have serious cabin fever and want to get out of the house. I hate gyms...

I'm scared that ill bail when this hurts but will be off to buy shoes tomorrow then I'll do W1R1. Wish me luck because I definitely need it!

Your messages on here are inspirational btw and I think posting on here might just help.

Lin x
Last edited by LinP on Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie

Re: New and desperately unfit but hello :)

Post by Dixie »

Hi Lin

I am a 47 year old female - I was fit and sporty at school but have not done a thing since (apart from some racket sports a few years ago, until I badly injured my ankle). My Dad died suddenly and relatively young (71) in the summer, plus other people around me seem to be starting to suffer with this or that illness etc - basically I became very aware of my own mortality. I started to think to myself 'I have been given this fantastic bit of equipment (my body) and I am totally abusing it'!! I wanted to do something that I could easily fit into my routine (I have two dogs and on 3 mornings I run with them instead of walk). I don't really have a weight issue (okay, I could lose a couple of pounds but nothing major) but I really wanted to do something about giving my heart a work out 3 times a week, so i downloaded this app. It is brilliant. Honestly, I am not a fitness freak AT ALL but it really made it easy for me. I did my W8R1 this morning - it was supposed to be 28 mins but, in the end, I just thought I may as well launch straight into week 9 (30 mins) because I felt so comfortable (although, personally, I wouldn't recommend skipping weeks in the early weeks - stick to the programme and don't be tempted to overdo it).

YES - you can definitely do this. Yes, it is definitely geared to people who have 'zero body strengh'. You won't need to 'bail' as you put it because it shouldn't hurt. Take it easy, run at a slow and steady pace (if you are are out of breath and can't speak in a sentence you are running too fast). If you struggle with a week then just repeat it (I had to repeat a week - week 3 I think). I hate gyms too - REALLY hate them.

Keep using this forum too - I have NEVER been a 'forum' type person but it has REALLY helped to motivate me.

Get some music and go for it. Good luck! I look forward to hearing how you do! :)
LinP

Post by LinP »

Thankyou Dixie! That's really good to hear. Ive already given my self permissiin to repeat runs or weeks... It helps to know that I can go at my pace too. I've read your posts along with other people's here and I'm going to keep reading and re reading about your progress because I think it'll spur me on.

Lin x
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Hello. :)
Like you, when I started, I was terribly unfit. Seemingly trivial amounts of exertion would have me gasping for breath! On the plus side I have history of running, but hadn't run in almost a decade. On the minus side I'm about 30 pounds overweight.
With all the extra weight (I started at 35 pounds over what would be considered healthy) I was hesitant to start running again, feeling my body might not take the heavy pounding as well as it had in the past when I was lighter and more fit.
Strangely, one night, not only could I not fall asleep but I felt like I had enough energy to run a marathon (probably helped that I had stopped drinking for a while). So I started W1R1 well before sunrise and never looked back.
There have been a few difficulties along the way, almost always when I start out of the gate too fast and start to get shin splints, but so far nothing major.
I don't have the best biomechanics (running style), but that hasn't been a problem so far and I think will improve with experience, and perhaps some 'muscle memory' will come back from when I used to run in my early and mid 20's (I'm 37 now).
LinP

Post by LinP »

That's encouraging! Obviously I don't know what shin splints feel like yet but they sound nasty!

Did the running help you to lose the extra weight? Do you feel stronger and less knackered when you're going about day to day life now? I think if I start to feel more energetic in general then that will keep me going too.

Thanks Tim
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Welcome and good luck with your first run! I'm 23, and not overweight, but I am seriously the weakest and most unfit person in the world. Or... I was! Before starting this programme I had never run for so much as 5 minutes straight before in my whole life. But the steps really do make it possible - the only run that I failed to complete was the very first one, when I had to start walking halfway through the fifth running interval. But since then, it's been tough, but I've done it. I ran for 30 minutes just over a week ago and it was the best feeling in the world.

So take it slow, don't expect too much of yourself too soon, get some brilliant tunes on your playlist and enjoy having some time to yourself in the fresh air to get to know your body and what it can do a bit better. I don't think I've lost weight, but I've definitely changed shape and toned up, and I feel so much better about my body because I know that it can do things that previously I thought were beyond me. I'm almost jealous of you starting from the beginning! Enjoy the ride and don't give up :) Good luck!
LinP

Post by LinP »

Toadie thankyou! Lol at you almost wishing you we're at the start! I think I'd gnaw an arm off if it meant I could swap! It's good to hear that other previously unfit people have done it. Ive had to cancel my trainer buying. School just rang and I have to collect sprog 4 from school early because a (highly suspicious!) tummy ache. Mind you if he seems ok I may take him with me.

Thanks Toadie
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Weight: It's hard to say because I'm also eating less, so I'm not sure how much the running is contributing to weight loss. At this stage I burn about 200 net calories a run. That's only 600 calories a week, or about a sixth of a pound of fat (one pound of fat = 3500 calories). Running does seem, and maybe this is just me, to suppress my appetite for a while after the run, go figure! :)
Energy: after a run I almost always feel more energetic for the rest of the day. Also my legs feel very relaxed after a run, so I must be doing something right, I've even gotten that elusive "runner's high" I think, where I just feel really good mentally and physically after a run, the one exception being my last run where I just felt tired for some reason, I think I simply overexerted myself. I seem to feel the best after the slow plodding runs where I take it real easy.
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Oh no LinP, sorry your shopping trip was scuppered! Hopefully you'll be able to start running soon.

And note, I said I ALMOST wish I were back at the beginning, haha! It is better to be at the end - but the feeling of progressing each week is so good, and you have all of that ahead of you.

Make sure you come back to the forum when you've done your first run so we can congratulate you!
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Hello :)
I'm brand new too, I saw your post last night but was too tired too reply!! Yesterday was my first run. I have had the app on my phone for at least 6 weeks. I was scouring the internet looking for answers to my question ' am I too fat to run'
I came across another web-site which also has an amazing community. It had lots of answers/support /encouragement for me to trust its C25K programme (which is also over 9 weeks) and get going. This spurred me on to set the alarm and give 'Get Running' a go. This app is far superior to the other C25K podcast as you can use your own downloaded music.....it's fab.
I am well overweight and although I have run in the past, it is at least 1 and a half years since I have moved, I need to lose stones. The key with me is exercise, then the food follows. I felt too unfit to even start, I get puffed walking fast :/ HOWEVER, the first run yesterday made me wish I'd started 6 weeks ago. It is do-able.
Start yours soon and we can compare notes :)).....just a thought!!