A graduate checking in.....

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

A graduate checking in.....

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Hi All!

I did this program starting in April 2012 and finished it all the way through. I am still running! I have an app that has logged all my runs and 6 to 7 months later I have kept improving. I now pay attention to distance and not so much to time. I run a couple days of week still for about 30 to 40 minutes covering from 2.5 miles to 3 miles on any given day. It really depends on what curve balls life has thrown at me at that particular time. I have done 3 5'ks since I finished the program and each has helped me keep focus on running and not giving up at it. I will be running 4 miles at a turkey trot on Thanksgiving day and I'm a little nervous and excited. I have been content to stay at the 5k mark. That is all I really ever wanted to do. Although, come spring I will probably set my next goal at doing a 10k. I just wanted to chime in and say I'm proud of each of you and you all can do it! If I can call myself a runner, then so can you!!!!
Lauraeliza30

Re: A graduate checking in.....

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I also want to add that struggles with running are natural. I have had weeks where I would just stop running at a certain point and start walking.... no rhyme or reason, I would just say I couldn't do it. The only advice I have is this, KEEP AT IT. Some days will suck but hopefully the good days start to take over. Always remember the voices that say you can't do it or you can't go anymore are probably big ole liars!
Last edited by Lauraeliza30 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Thanks for checking in Laura and congratulations on keeping it up! That is what I hope to do, I have a lot of weight to lose. Can you tell us what app you use to log your runs? (I use RunKeeper but it has been glitchy as of late in recording my pace, not sure if it is the app or poor GPS reception, I have a feeling it is the app).
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I use two actually. For the same reason you just gave. I was just using runmeter for awhile by itself until one day it told me my mile was at 9 minutes and I knew it was lying to me as I generally can only run a mile in about 13:10 max (at first I felt really accomplished, what a let down, lol) so I now use runkeeper at the same time. That way I know they are pretty accurate. For me, one of my motivator's is to be able to look at all the data and see the improvement in time and distance,etc.
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

As a graduate it is so fun to check in and see the new wave of runners struggling through the program. For me the program was exactly what I needed to get me started and once I was going I couldn't stop! I finished the program in July and since then I have run a road race almost every weekend (so many I can't even keep track anymore). I started with 5ks, signed up for a 10k on a whim and took it VERY slowly, but once I was finished I knew that I could do it so I did 3 more! Then I took myself on a long run just to see how far I could go, realizing 10 miles wasn't terrible I signed up for a Half marathon and completed that two weeks ago. It's hard for me to believe how far I've come since I started.

Congrats on all your success, you can always do more than you think you can!
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Thanks for the update! About to finish myself.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Hi guys, nice to see a couple of old friends doing well, for myself, after completing the program in the summer, life got in the way and I only managed a couple of runs before stopping. So here I am back at square one with a new years resolution to run again. Although with torrential rain and a heavy cold it's going to be a slow start ( there I go making excuses before I even start!) hopefully I can stick to it this time.
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

Hey thought I'd join in with the checking in I'm not quite up to running the 10k like you JB but think that'll be my goal this year try to get out 3 times a week but more often then not its only twice. Finished the program in October and still enjoying it feel like my fitness has improved tenfold! And hey who knows I'd like to do a marathon one day... How about a 5 k to marathon programme ;)
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Siomongeorge, great to hear from you.

Since my last post, I haven't been running as much. In the last two weeks I haven't ran at all due to weather and now a nasty cold. My plan is start back next week. Because I do best with a training plan my plan is to start the couch to 5k somewhere in the middle and do an accelerated version of until I am back at the running 30 minute mark. My other reason to starting part of the plan again, is because I kept running a mile then I would stop and walk and run for the next two to three miles. Its not because I physically can't do it but because my brain just wouldn't let me. I think with the running plan I can get my focus back. Hopefully, in three weeks time I will find myself back to where I was. Holidays and the New Year have slowed me down. Looking forward to kicking this cold so I can get back to it.
Fit for 2013

Post by Fit for 2013 »

It is great to read your stories, as I hope to be a true runner one day soon! I see all of the others running 8.0 and and higher at the gym and I am inspired to see others doing it and making it look so easy!!