Best time of day to run?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LinP

Best time of day to run?

Post by LinP »

Hello all :)

I've been running (just started week 3) in the morning after the school run so about 9.30 am.

My thinking was that in the morning ill surely have more energy because ill have had a nights sleep and not yet run the gaultlet of the day plus kids etc...

I know some of you run in the evening...

Have you tried both? Is there a difference to you in terms of energy, being able to complete runs, speed etc...

I know in the evening at the moment it's dark in the evenings (UK) but it would sometimes suit me. My fear is i'll be too knackered and it'll hold back my progress.

I'd love to hear your thoughts thanks all.

Lin
trine_f1

Re: Best time of day to run?

Post by trine_f1 »

I have tried running in the morning but I am too tired. So now I run when I get home from work (4 pm) or in the evening (8pm)
4 pm works best for me but I think it is an individual thing.
Starting W4R1 when i get home from work today :)
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

I try to run in the morning, it's usually cooler and gives me an energy boost for the rest of the day. I try not to run too close to bedtime for fear I'll have trouble falling asleep. Also, usually in the evening my belly is full from dinner, like to run either before breakfast or an hour after a light breakfast. If it's cool enough I like to run in the afternoon, which, for whatever reason, the timing of it, helps me sleep like a babe.
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

I find I'm a bit faster in the evenings - maybe with more energy from the meals I've eaten during the day or something. But I prefer to get the run out of the way first thing. Only problem is I hate running in the dark, so at the weekends I run in the middle of the day and during the week, if I get out at all, it's in the morning when things are only going to get lighter rather than darker. So I think it depends on the season, the weather... and you!