Rest days?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LinP

Rest days?

Post by LinP »

Hey all :)

I'm just wondering. Has everyone stuck rigidly to having one rest day minimum between each run? If I ran two days in a row (not always, just occasionally) would it hurt?

Has anyone done that and been ok? Were you knackered? At the moment I've found myself running on the 'wrong' day for me that's all.

Thanks guys and happy running :)
Capital_M

Re: Rest days?

Post by Capital_M »

Can't speak for anyone else, but me. I just finished week 7 run 1, to get where I'm at.

Not only have I rested the minimum of 1 days between runs, I've have two different weeks, where I sometimes rested 2 days between runs. Not because of my heart or lungs or even leg muscles, but because I feel it in my joints after the runs. I'm hoping for a life long commitment to fitness here, and I don't want to blow it by getting too eager.

So, for me, the answer is let the joints build up to this, something I think that gets some runners in the long run.

Cheers.
LinP

Post by LinP »

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes I see your point. I'm fighting an awful cold (I never get colds usually) so I won't be overdoing it and also my joints have had so little real pressure before I better take it easy. I did run two on a row as I coped but I think ill save those times for when I have to. Thanks and good luck! You're nearly there:)
TheDogAteMyName

Post by TheDogAteMyName »

I normally rest as advised and so far I haven't ached the next day. I didn't run yesterday and Monday is a run day for me. So guess what I'll be doing? I will run today, skip my rest day and run tomorrow. That's what happens when I'm unable to run Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Soon I will be running 5 days a week. I wouldn't push it starting out. I have been running nearly a year starting with this program. I'm at a point where I can run two days in a row.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I think in the early days rest days are important as your body gets used to moving again, and towards the end you will need the recovery time, but in-between times, I would say listen to your own body and if you feel like it, as Nike would say, just do it!
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

I'd stick to the rest days.

I imagine most of us here see the app as a potential framework for a much fitter, healthier life ahead of us. So there is no reason to over-exert ourselves or risk anything for the duration of the app. Just get it all completed, become 30 minute runners, and take it from there.

The other thing I'd suggest is that the rest days are probably good for the mindset. If it has us tearing at the leash, that can only be a good thing! Perhaps running multiple days in a row will leave us overdosed on running, or make our bodies and minds feel spent, and all of that can have a degrading effect on our attitude towards running in general. By pacing ourselves we likely have a better chance of becoming proper runners.

It's less than three months, so you know, take the rest days. What's the rush? :)
starknut

Post by starknut »

Starting out, rest days are pretty important, especially if you're not used to this kind of physical activity. You need to give your body time to rest and recuperate before the next run. If you feel the need to be active, bike riding is great, or yoga, swimming, whatever you like, just keep it low-impact.