New here! Question about app

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Chrisdorman

New here! Question about app

Post by Chrisdorman »

Hello all!

I just ran w1d1 today. I'm severely out of shape and probably 50 pounds overweight. I hope to lose weight and get in shape!

Does this app have a way to view your speed and distance of run? Runkeeper has this feature but I can't seem to find it within this app.

Regards,
LinP

Re: New here! Question about app

Post by LinP »

Hi and welcome :)

I use runkeeper alongside Get running because I couldnt find any features which do what runkeeper does and using both works fine for me. I just have to remember to press stop on runkeeper at the end of my cooldown. Drove home with it running the other day and scored an all time speed record :D

How did you find the run? I couldnt even run to the end of my road 4 weeks ago and feel better already. Best of luck!
Chrisdorman

Post by Chrisdorman »

Thanks for the reply! I'll pair Runkeeper with this app for now on. I assume there is a way to turn the sound off on Runkeeper. I like the ques from this app more.

The first run was hard. I actually started a run similar to this on Runkeeper but had to stop 2 weeks in because of sore knees. I just began running yesterday again and found myself to be pretty winded. But I ran the whole plan. My knees hurt pretty bad again today. Something I don't understand. I bought new shoes and worked on my running style (I was a heel striker) yet my knees still hurt. Kind of at a loss.
LinP

Post by LinP »

Chris if you go to settings on run keeper and go to 'audio cues' you can turn them all off. Then only Get running will be talking to you. Much better.

I can't help with the knees because mine are ok so far. I have shin splints though but not severely. I think it's just adjusting.

Have you done any more runs? How did It go? If you're in the UK like me then we chose a great time of year for it lol. I just think that if we can do this now then we're already proving we have grit! Plenty start in the summer and the stop when the weather changes.

Happy running!
Chrisdorman

Post by Chrisdorman »

Hey LinP thanks for the information! I'll be sure to adjust those settings so I can pair the two up when I run. I was supposed to run yesterday (w1d2) but I went golfing all day. I figured that was a pretty good work-out in itself. I plan on running this afternoon though. My knees are feeling a bit better today so hopefully no issues.

I don't live in the UK. I live in Florida so it's summer weather year-round (almost). :)
LinP

Post by LinP »

Ah Florida! Nice :) It was -2 C here this morning. Sunshine would be nice. Good luck with your run!
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Hi Chris. I'm a Florida runner too. As much as I heat up when I'm running it can't get cold enough! As far as the knees and the windedness, are you running as slow as possible? I was 30 pounds overweight when I started and had been very sedentary for a very long time. In short, I was terribly out of shape, so I found I had to take my runs real slow. My problem wasn't knees but shin splints. Given your weight, your knees have to take a lot of punishment, so remember, there is no such thing as running too slow. I use RunKeeper as well and it is excellent. Good luck!