Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Osnooshy

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by Osnooshy »

Hi Charley
I'm a newbie - just started my second week.

It seems I'm not alone with the 'get fit' New Years resolution!
Unfortunately, I live in South Australia where it's been around 40 degrees (c) since Christmas... Making running very difficult for a beginner.

I am surprised at how well I am going. I used to be a junk food eater, thinking kfc chips still counts as a vegetable (it's a potatoe, isn't it!!). I've lost weight and gained confidence.
Hope I can keep my mojo happening!

I admit the 20 min run in week 5 scares me!!

Lets compare notes as we go along this program. ;)
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Wow 40 degrees is crazy! It's doesn't even get that hot here, ever!
It's like 8 degrees at the minute which is ok for running, I just wear 2 layers, but it is getting colder towards the end of the week so I hope my willpower hold out when it's freezing. If it snows again I'm just gonna have to hit a treadmill instead, can't be doing with broken ankles!

Was week 2 a big jump from week 1? I'm worried I'll struggle!

Good luck with the heat, hope it cools down a bit!
Charley x
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

Hey Charley,

I'm a newbie too! Due to start Week 2 tomorrow, I completed week 1 without any majors issues but I'm a bit worried about the step up each week. Like everyone else I can't ever imagine running for 30 minutes without stopping but the other threads on here are pretty inspiring. I'm 22 and a student so really hoping this app with help with my fitness levels! Great to have some other newbies to compare our progress with - I wasn't sure about joining the forum but when I saw your thread I thought it'd be good to be in touch with people at the same point in the process.

Good luck with your next run!
L :)
Osnooshy

Post by Osnooshy »

Yeh, the cool change is just about to hit us here in South Australia, it's only going to get to 36 degrees (c) here today!!
I can't imagine living somewhere where it snows - that's very cool (errr... literally!!)

I found W2R1 a little difficult - especially the first of the 1.5 min runs. Not sure why - maybe it was too hot, maybe I just wanted to have a glass of wine (I started the run early evening!). But once I got into it, it just happened. Not without sweat and muttering swear words under my breath!

Good luck mate!
;)
LinP

Post by LinP »

Hey all :)

Just popped on here to see if new starters have joined and here you are :)

My diary thread is on here and hopefully it's useful but its only one of many. When I started on 10th November I'd read loads of the diaries and re red them as I went along so i could see how other people had found each given week. It really helped.

A few tips...

Get some good running shoes. If not in the first few weeks then at least get some ASAP. Running is amazing but it beats your joints up and good proper running shoes make a big difference.

If you're running in the morning try to eat some breakfast an hour or so beforehand. I've always been a breakfast skipper but I don't now if I'm running in the morning. It helps keep your energy up.

Use the forum here and buddy up :) it was really quiet here from half way through my plan but I found coming back here and entering runs into my diary thread kind if made them official :)

Trust the programme :) I was so unfit I scared myself. I couldn't believe I'd be able to run 20 or 30 minutes. Not a chance. Each run and each week builds your muscles, heart and lungs up so that they CAN do what's ahead. You'll see as each step gets ticked off and you look back at how you felt at the beginning and it will amaze you.

The cold - I'm in the UK too. I've run in -4 and yea it's cold to start but before you know it, once you're moving, you're warm as toast. Just be brave and get out there with a thermal top and some gloves on and when you're hot tie it around your waist. It's the getting out there that's the hardest bit but its worth it.

Get some tunes :) I've started to listen to music keeping an ear out for whether it'll be good to run to! Update that playlist and keep it fresh.

Reward yourself and enjoy it. I loved this plan. I finished on Christmas Eve and I'm now running 5K 3 times a week and about to start a 10k schedule. I can hardly believe that I can run for 30 or 40 mins and get so much satisfaction from it. It's hard work but I'm working for me and I'm getting faster and fitter.

I wish you all the luck and fun with this and glad you're using the forum because it does help.

Lin x
TexasMama

Post by TexasMama »

Good morning,

Just started this morning! It was a little rough waking at 5AM after two blissful weeks of sleeping in over Christmas break. My kids are back on schedule this AM, my oldest (7) was on the bus at 7AM and my youngest is heading to dance class in just about an hour.

My husband is RELUCTANT, but he is out there with me. He isn't running but he is walking. I managed to do all of Day 1 so I am pretty proud of myself since I haven't worked out regularly in a year.

I *will* do this. I will! I refuse to fail. Period!
"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it." - Bill Cosby
Runninggonnabe

Post by Runninggonnabe »

Hi all

I'm a newbie too . I started running on new years day and have completed week 1 tonight .(had to go away this weekend when I would have normally run).

I don't want this to be a new years resolution that fails and I know I won't fail as this means something to me.

You see my mum passed away 6 months ago from a rare condition and I am determined to run and raise some money for the charity that supports research into her condition .

Secondly I am really overweight (5stone) to loose and having recently joined slimming world I want running and weightless and a more healthier me to go hand in hand.

I've started running by myself and although I feel rough the day after a run I can see a small difference already in my progress. I'm excited at what the future brings !
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

Hey guys,

Welcome TexasMama and Runninggonnabe - looking forward to reading more about your runs! Really sorry to hear about your mum Runninggonnabe, what a great way to start raising money for research though.

Finished week 2 run 1 today, got to be honest it was pretty difficult especially the last run - just felt like I wasn't getting enough breath inside me. Still I finished so I'm really pleased. It also didn't help that I was in the gym, running in between a really fit guy an girl so felt a bit embarrassed really. The guy was doing a 5k run, so hopefully that will be us before too long!

Happy running,
L :)
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Hello everyone!!
I didn't check this for like 2 days and suddenly loads of people have popped up! Amazing!

LinP, I've read your entire thread! It's like a book, it's brilliant! Your posts were the reason I started this thread and I'm so glad I did so thankyou :)

I agree with you about the running shoes, I've been lucky, mine are amazing. They fit my feet perfectly and are so comfortable. I broke my ankle 2 years and it hasn't been perfect since but no pain at all yet so I'm hopeful!

I start week 2 on Tuesday evening, I'm not sure about this 2 days rest thing, it feels like too long. But, having said that, I'm trusting the app and following what it says.

Osnooshy, I can't imagine living somewhere that gets so hot! I think I would actually melt!

All the other newbies WELL DONE for getting started! I don't care that we are spread out all over the world, we could be real support mechanisms for each other so let's keep up the hard work and keep this thread going!

I'll report back again on Tuesday evening when I've started week 2!
Good Luck everyone!
Charley x
Haibbs

Post by Haibbs »

Hi! I'm onto the second week! Just done the second run today. And although it was quite tough i could feel it getting a little easier. Hopefully by my next run on Thurs things will be a bit easier!

Yes i'm in the sunny UK! Im just glad that although it might not be the best weather, at least it's not snowing, or else that would be it! It's nice and mild today which make the running quite pleasant!

Proudest moment so far: getting up at 7.30am on a Saturday to go for my run. I never thought i'd see that day!

How's it going for you at the moment? Do you know if you've lost any weight yet? I bet it'll really spur you on when you start to see results!

Keep going!!