Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
CharleyMe

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by CharleyMe »

Just got in from week 2 run 1!

It was certainly a step up from week 1 but nothing like I was expecting. I'm actually pleasantly surprised!
I feel like my lungs are getting better, my breathing is far more controlled, it's just my legs that are letting me down I think!

Still no aches or pains the next day, I'm sure they'll come eventually :-/

Haibbs I couldn't imagine running in the morning, I think I'm doing reasonably well running at about 8pm so I daren't upset the apple cart and change at the moment!
Do you feel more energised or tired during the day if you run AM?

Lottie have you tried running outside? I find it easier than a treadmill, you can naturally slow down or speed up without thinking about it. That might just be me but if you've got somewhere safe you could run outside then maybe give it a go :)

I'm loving reading about everyone's progress! Keep going guys, the sweat and pain is gonna be sooooo worth it!
Charley x
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

hi,
I just finished W1D2 and cannot believe that I made it this far. It is so hard to get started.
It took me over a year to make a move. And I am very glad there is an app that tells me what
to do. I used to think I need a running buddy in the neighborhood, which never worked out for me
so I am pretty glad to find the app and now these forums. I am way over 39, have not done any serious
sports in a long while because I am always working. My new year's resolution is to make
this fit into my schedule for good. Glad to be reading your progress as well, very inspiring.
cheers....to us!
kaybee
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Week 2 run 1 completed! I'm thinking the first run of each week may be a bit of challenge for me...but doable. I think I'm doing more of a stroll/jog instead of a walk/run but I feel successful.
Osnooshy

Post by Osnooshy »

Hi all.
It's such a shame - I did W2R2 and coped extremely well during the session. Well, so I thought!
Several hours later, i was at work and I could barely flex my knees - incredibly sore. I'm going to rest up for a few days and see if its just muscle soreness or if I have dodgy knees.

Is anyone else finding their knees hurt, or am I just being a sook!! ;)
I'm running on footpaths and have brand new/extremely comfy asics running shoes.
Hopefully it's just muscle soreness around the knee!

The worst part is there has finally been a break in the 40+ degree (c) weather, so it would be perfect temp for a run. (Low 20's here today, bit warmer tomorrow).

I love reading your progress - keep up the awesome work people's!
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

[quote="Osnooshy"]Hi all.
.... going to rest up for a few days and see if its just muscle soreness or if I have dodgy knees.

Is anyone else finding their knees hurt, or am I just being a sook!! ;)

The worst part is there has finally been a break in the 40+ degree (c) weather, so it would be perfect temp for a run. (Low 20's here today, bit warmer tomorrow).

/quote]

It is 40 here as well, though Celcius :-)
I find it hard to run with the cold air, afraid of getting sick.
Good thing your heat is turning down.
About the knees. That is my major problem as well, building up enough muscle before the knee gives out.
Once you have the muscles, the knee will be a bit safer. Better to heed the warning and go slow.
But maybe it is just the muscles that are cramping ... wishing you luck with that.
Lottie

Post by Lottie »

Hi everyone,

Just finished W2R2 - it was so much easier than Monday!! I took the second 3 runs a bit slower so perhaps that helped. So glad I've for another week 2 run before the next step up though :/

Charley, thanks for the advice - I might give outdoors a go, as it would be nice to be able to slow down or speed up without hitting buttons. it's just finding a safe route really, like you say.

I hope everyone's having a good week!
L :)
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

As a graduate of the program who has lapsed and now I'm back after 4 months, I can tell you from experience, don't worry about looking weeks in advance thinking ' I can't , by the time you get there, you'll be ready, it's like any new skill, jump to the last chapter of any 'teach yourself' manual and you'll find impossible looking challenges. But you will do it, the 20 min run is 'the hump' but it's really not that daunting when you get there. Think positively, the only person saying you can't do it is you, so prove yourself wrong!
Runninggonnabe

Post by Runninggonnabe »

Hey guys

Just finished run 1 of week 2 .

Was pleasantly surprised by how I coped but managed to steain my chins half way through. Managed to plod on through but my legs felt like lead when I was walking .
Definetly have more in me on cardio but because of legs I think I held back a bit.

It's now an hr after run and it's so not funny trying to get up stairs ! Ouch !

No pain no gain I guess ?
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

W2R2 done.

I had to battle with myself to get out the front door this evening and half way through the warm up walk when I was still shivering I was actually annoyed at myself for not staying on the sofa. Buuuuut, it was actually my best run yet!
2 encouraging waves from other joggers helped, it was a weird realisation that I had become one of them :-/

I'm still only giving it 75% during most of the runs and then I go all out and give it everything I've got left on the last run..... I'm not sure why, I just figure if I'm gonna end up sweaty it may as well be for good reason :)

Altegolibby mine are definitely jogs and not runs at the moment, apart from the last one!
Those of us in the UK please be careful running now, it's getting icy out there again. Avoid drain covers, slippery little b******s!

Keep at it you amazing bunch!
Charley x
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Just finished w2r2. Felt not so good during but great now! What's that all about? Couldn't do it without my iTunes. Great music pushes me forward. The weather is great in Florida. Low 80s today. Perfect for running this evening. Hope y'all are well. Til next time