Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
kaybee

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by kaybee »

W6R1 tough. mainly because we picked up speed in running. I didnt think I was going to make it to the end and was waiting for the lady to tell me the time. best time was on mile 2 with less than 10 min/ mile for the first time.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W7R1 done. My pace slowed a bit? Didnt make it as far, but made it without stopping and thats what i'm focusing on. Trying to adjust my foot strike to midfoot rather than heel and my breathing to belly breathing. Kaybee, you are doing really well...increasing your pace, that's fantastic. Do you enjoy running with someone? I'm afraid i wouldn't be able to keep up with someone else's pace and that i would be holding them back so i'm sticking with solo...for now, until i'm more confident and comfortable. Today i ran while it was still light outside :) i had been waiting until it got dark. I guess i'm over being judged for being slow...that's progress, right? This week's runs are all the same so i may get brave and choose a different route, that way i won't be bummed if i don't make it as far. Your snow run sounds phenomenal.
You should post pics. I have never seen snow myself. Another day of rest for me. I'll check back in on wednesday. Until then, happy running, yall!
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

I am very glad it is dark when I run. Good job for making the move to daylight haha.... I am running with someone who is another ex-couch potatoe!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W7R2 completed. Ran as soon as i got home, we have a wicked storm heading our way and wanted to beat the thunderstorms. Warm and humid now, to change to freezing by the weekend. I am hoping that at some point running becomes something enjoyable. Are yall enjoying yourselves? Is this just a mental hurdle for me? I want to be one of those folks who can relax while running. Let their mind go. Is this something that will come? I am curious to see yall approach to running.
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

This is my second time on the program since completing it in the summer, then only running a couple of times after until my new years resolution to get back out there, so I ran wk6r3 today. I can't say I enjoy running as such but I kind of look forward to it and enjoy the feeling of having completed a run. For me there was a moment at about this point last time, it was like a 'road to Damascus' convertion into a runner,mid-run, one moment I was huffing and puffing, watching my feet, then suddenly I felt my breathing slow, my heart rate dropped about 10bpm and I suddenly felt re-energised as if I could run all day, I was then able to almost forget I was running and let my mind wander, I have yet to regain that feeling this time around but I have felt close a couple of times. I hope you reach this point soon as it really is a great feeling
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

I felt good yesterday for the run where you have to go for 10 minutes, twice. Let's see how well that generalizes to the 25 minute run. But I dont have that cool feeling yet. or the feeling where you just cant wait to get out the door. I suppose the freezing weather and new snow doesnt help on that one.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Simon....i think i got it today. Kaybee, its just around the corner for you. :lol: :lol: i changed 2things today. First, i ran a loop as opposed to the 'out and back' that i have been doing. The 'out and back' made me feel like i was competing with myself and when i didn't make the same distances in the same times i felt discouraged. Second, i downloaded an audiobook. I listened to the book the whole way and didn't struggle at all with breathing or feeling lead footed. No concern about pace or distance. Probably the best run i have had yet....week 7 is a thing if the past. I could have 'run' longer!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Oh and another thing....i feel happy, euphoric, almost. :D
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

W6R3 - wow that was h.a.r.d! Had stiches all the way through. Good thing though is that my knees seem to be doing ok.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W8R1...doable. 28 minutes of nonstop running. My pace is still slow but my focus is on completing the time and not being concerned about the distance. Distance and speed will come...right? Im starting to feel a little more in control, my breathing is good and my legs don't feel so much like lead. Im loving listening to an audiobook and think it really does take my focus away from the negative. Sort of a 'right brain/left brain' kind of thing. Yall keep posting. I want to hear your experiences so far, too.