Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
CharleyMe

Any other newby's out there?!

Post by CharleyMe »

Did my first run today! Wahoo! Start 2013 as I mean to go on and all that :)
I'm only 24 but seriously unfit and not sure if I'm gonna be able to complete the whole 9 weeks :-/ I managed this first run reasonably well but had to walk for half of number 5 because I actually felt sick (yes, I'm that unfit!)
Did anyone else struggle the first time? Does your body get used to it? And how much am I going to ache tomorrow/thurs?!
Any help, encouragement, scary truths, etc gratefully received!
Happy New Year everyone!
Charley :)
flyboy

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by flyboy »

Hey Charley,

There are plenty of thread diaries out there (including mine - 'And so it begins') which track every run. It's well worth making a cup of coffee and taking an hour or two to read through the archive of threads! I'll tell you a couple of things that may fire you up...

When I started this app, I was around four stone overweight and had lived a completely sedentary lifestyle for the past 10 years. I had back ache, knots, my body felt weak, and the thought of even walking for half an hour scared the daylights out of me. I remember looking a few weeks ahead in the schedule and seeing there was a 20 minute run without any walking breaks, and the idea of it just seemed absolutely unfathomable to me.

Now? I can run for 30 minutes without any issue. It has been an amazing mental turnaround as well as a physical one. The first run of every week will always feel tough - you will be sweatier, pant harder, feel it in your legs. But the amazing thing about this app is that you will be capable of doing it. Even if you fail, there is no shame in repeating the run, and you will be better-equipped to do it the next time as your entire body will be stronger for that failure.

Stick at it. You'll find very few people on the forum who completed the app in the minimum amount of time. People either fail runs, or get delayed because of weather, or whatever. Doesn't matter. This is a journey towards getting stronger and gradually morphing into a different person. Whatever your fears and anxieties might be now, I can assure you that you'll feel completely differently if you stick at it for a little while longer.
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Thanks for your reply, flyboy!
I've found your 'And so it begins' thread and have indeed just put the kettle on ready for a good read!
I'm still a little stuck in the mindset that I'm never going to run for 30 mins non stop, but on the other hand I'm thinking 'if I gave up smoking 8 months ago I can do anything'! So I'm well prepared to give it a fair crack!
Would still love to find someone else who is right at the beginning with me so if you're out there, speak up!
Charley x
Haibbs

Post by Haibbs »

Hi charley! I'm a Newby too! Did my first run on Monday and my second today. Think I must've picked the worst time to start though weather wise but I stuck at them despite getting drenched so I'm pretty pleased with myself! I'm really unfit too. Not overweight at all but like most people i do have a couple of Xmas pounds to shift so may aswell tackle both together.

First run was surprisingly ok. I got my music going after having carefully selected "running" songs and actually quite enjoyed the first few runs. Have to admit, the last couple were a bit trickier and I really had to push myself to keep running. But I did! Got that really smug post exercise feeling when I got home too! Only minor stiffness in my thighs yesterday too.

Today's run was even better. I was really surprised to find that towards the end the runs felt like they were getting easier! I wasnt dreading the 10secs til running warning! Stretched plenty when I got in too so hopefully no stiffness tomorrow.

I'm proud of myself for having actually started this and you should be too. I might even enrol in a 5k in summer to give me something to work towards.

This is a great app by the way! So simple to use! Let me know how you get on charley. And seen as I'm one run ahead of you I can let you know if there are any shockers in there! If we stick at it I'm sure the 30min run will become less and less daunting. I have a friend who it worked for and she looks great on it!

Best of luck!!
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Hiya!
Yeah I created a running playlist, too! It actually really helped when I was struggling.
I have put on just under 2 stone since I quit smoking last April and I'm determined that it's coming off! I can't stand feeling so sluggish and, well, fat!
I gather by the weather that you're in the sunny UK, me too! I didn't get rained on yesterday but I don't hold out much hope for many more dry runs!
No stiffness yet, but I think I'll feel it tomorrow. I'll do my second run tomorrow evening when I get home from work, I'm soooo hoping that I run straight through number 5 this time, then I'll know I'm getting somewhere!
Well done for doing 2 runs already! I think the beginning of each new week is gonna be a shocker for me but fingers crossed!
We can do it!
Charley :)
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

CharleyMe wrote:I'm still a little stuck in the mindset that I'm never going to run for 30 mins non stop, but on the other hand I'm thinking 'if I gave up smoking 8 months ago I can do anything'!
Damn straight!

I gave up smoking myself (though I do use those electronic ones from time to time), so I have an idea of where you're coming from. On top of the extra weight and the weak muscles, I also had the smoker's chest to overcome!

Don't fret about the 30 minutes. For me, increasing the runs every week seemed impossible. Forget about 30 minutes...a jump to a run of 2 minutes seemed like mission impossible! Five minutes, eight minutes...every time it felt like an impossible wall. The joy of the app, though, is that you really do get driven to beat your previous times with the help of the voice coach.

For what it's worth, 30 minutes isn't the big one - it is the 20 minute run which I think comes at the end of week five. Everyone dreads that. It is 'The Run'. Nobody ever feels prepared for it, and everybody is shocked at being able to do it. Once you pass that, 30 minutes will seem very realistic. Have faith in the app :)
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Thanks, Flyboy, you've helped me realise that I just need to take it one run at a time so I'm going to stop worrying about the runs I haven't got to yet :)

Did my second run this evening, was absolutely buzzing when I got home because I didn't struggle anything like I did on my first run! I even picked up my pace quite a bit on my last run which felt really good!

I'm still plodding through other people's threads, it's good to see that other people's fears and experiences are so similar to mine, I'm starting to feel a bit of faith in myself :)

W1R3 on Saturday, will report back again then!
Charley
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Me too! Just finished run 2. Cold and rainy in 'sunny' Florida so did it on the treadmill.. Not as much fun but did it. Better weather forecasts to come. Yeah Us! :D
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Well done for sticking at it and getting on the treadmill! I bet it's tempting not to bother at all when the weather is so rubbish. I'm sure I've got awful weather to come, I'm surprised I haven't got drenched already being in the country with the greyest weather on the planet!
Let me know how you get on with your third run! Keep at it and good luck!
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Week 1 Run 3 complete!

This run felt so much better than the first 2, I'm really relieved as I didn't feel like I was even going to get to week 2 let alone complete the programme but I'm definitely ready for the challenge of week 2 now!

No aches or pains yet but I'm sure they're not far off.
Anyone else still running? Everything's gone rather quiet around here!

Charley x