everyone who has restarted the programme

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pinkglow

everyone who has restarted the programme

Post by pinkglow »

Hi,

So I see a lot of posts from people who got quite far, maybe even completed Get Running, and then for some reason (medical/lifestyle etc) ceased running and are now doing it all over again.

I started Get Running back in the spring and was on Week 9 just as injury struck. I'm trying to get out there again, but I don't really know what is best for me. I am currently using another app which allows me to set my own schedule (so I can say the distance/time I want for different intervals of running/walking) but I'm not sure what my ultimate aim should be? Right now I'm quite comfortable with 20 min runs (inc. intervals)... I feel they provide me with the exercise I need, but should I be aiming to do 30 regularly, or even more? Just wondering if there's anyone else who has gone a bit off-piste and has their own plan now, and how you came to work it out?

Thanks
Simongeorge

Re: everyone who has restarted the programme

Post by Simongeorge »

I completed the program in July but after just a couple of runs , life got in the way. So here I am, new years resolution in hand, completed wk1 r1. I found it quite easy though, and was just getting into my stride when she told me to stop, so I don't know whether to continue on schedule and get my pace up,( by week 9 last time I was running for 30minutes but being overtaken by snails) or skip ahead a week.
starknut

Post by starknut »

I have restarted the program several times after falling off the wagon for varying reasons. The important thing is to listen to your body. You may be able to jump back into a more advanced week, and then again, you may have to start over from the very beginning if you are really struggling. It just depends on the person.

Right now I am actually doing a different 5k trainer (for shame!) - which I won't name here because that's kind of rude, don't you think? plugging someone else's program? - after getting rid of my treadmill. It wouldn't fit on the moving truck, can you believe it? Running outdoors is an entirely different beast than running inside, and I am not physically capable of picking up where I left off before our move. So I'm trying to ease back in to running in the great outdoors, giving my shins and lungs some time to adjust, and just trying to get out and move without feeling like I'm setting impossible goals.

As long as you're up off the couch and doing something you enjoy, it doesn't really matter what it is or how you're doing it.
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

I completed back in September and then the mornings became darker and it got cold and as much as I tried to keep going over the winter I really only enjoy running at 6 in the morning and as I run along an unlit canal path it's not an option in the darker months although I have done a bit.

So this week I jumped back in at week 3 which wasn't brilliantly easy but I've done it. I came back on the forum this morning as I'm lying in bed contemplating whether to do week 3 or push to 4 this morning.

Good luck to all ex graduates. :)
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I am someone who completed the program last summer and then fell off the wagon, though not completely. I kept running but with no clear goals I would stop running about a mile in then walk run. I have done a couple of 5ks and even did a 4 mile race in November.... i ran/walked after taking off way to fast and lost steam and was hurting in my calf area after the 1st half mile. So, since then I have been running only 1 to 2 times a week, but with the cold and the fact that I hate the treadmill and want to be outside running I have been hobbling along while waiting for the warm days. I have decided to do an ease into 10k program. I started at week 2 which is a 4 minute run followed by a 1 minute walk then repeat 5 times. My first run was on Sun and it was doable and challenging. I feel like having a training plan and a goal for a 10k in May will keep me focused. I am learning that without a training plan, I feel a little lost in my running.
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Hi all,

I'm back too!! Have stopped and started over and over, month after month, deleting old runs just to redo them ( usually W5 R1) and finally today I completed the dreaded W5 R3!!!

I'm over the moon and so proud of myself! Even when I was following the programme to the letter this was always my nemesis, I've never got this far before.

Have now found a new sense of drive and motivation, and can't wait to actually run, non-stop, now I know it's an achievable goal!

Keep going everyone, the programme works, I'm proof of that.

Xxxx
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

That is awesome news to hear! I posted above you about using a 10k plan now after falling off the wagon and slacking a bit during the winter. I find having some kind of training plan helps me stay focused. Anyway, I am excited to hear you accomplished your nemesis and found a new motivation. I felt the same way yesterday. I took 1.5 weeks of due to a chest cold and snow (I hate the treadmill) and jumped into Week 4 of my 10k plan yesterday. The last run of week 3 was to run for 5 minutes with a 1 minute walk and repeat 5 times. The W4R1 was a jump to an 8min run followed by a 1 min walk repeated 4 times. I am not sure why I dreaded that huge jump from 5 to 8 min as it wasn't all that long ago that I finished my first 5k with a time of 41:01 (slow as molasses, I know!) and never took a walk break. I was going to go back to the W3 run, but decided to just jump in with week 4 even with the 1.5 week break because what was the worse that could happen? Well, I did Week 4 and it wasn't as hard as I anticipated... it was still flipping hard though, but not the level of difficulty my brain had me believe. My point to this is, your body can do so much, but you have to tell the brain to shut the heck up! I love coming back here to chat with y'all now and then. The one feature I wish my new app had was 1. I wish it was a get running 10 k app, and 2. I wish it had a forum feature!