Four stone overweight but doing it!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nicola1

Re: Four stone overweight but doing it!

Post by Nicola1 »

Hiya, well done on completing run2, I hadn't run for 4days, night shifts and my niece going into hospital plus decorating just got in the way. Excuses I know but I just didn't have the energy. Went out this morning and OMG I thought I was dying trying to hit the 5min mark, I've never wanted someone to say only 10 seconds left in my entire life. When she said if you feel you are struggling then run a little slower, I thought any slower and I'd be walking!!!! But I did it and managed to tag an extra 3 min run onto the end and i was only 5 seconds slower than my previous run. My knee seems to be hurting though so a little worried about that, don't want an injury this early in the game to put me off :-( I might do this week again, plus I think I need to find a flatter route, but living in Wales, that just might be a task too far lol I know of a good route but its too open and visible to all the world and I'm not quite ready for open public running just yet
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi
Well I did w2 R3 this morning! I tried a different route which is nearer home and involves a slight bit on the street before going along a cycle path through fields. Although it is uphill for the last few runs. Despite this I did ok, think my breathing was a little better and I did beat my last time for the same distance. I'm just deciding where to go for W3 R1 as it'll have to be around 5.30am and will still be dark! I might have to beat the bullet and brave the streets! I hope you're knee is feeling better, you did well running for 5 mins, like you said before it will push us! I'm not sure I'm ready for week 3 but I'll see on Thursday morning!
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Well, today I completed W3 R1!!! I had no problem at all with the first 90 sec run, and the first 3 min one was fine too. The problem I am having again is that the second 2 runs are uphill which makes it really really hard! I actually made the final 3 min run without stopping but was huffing and puffing like mad and thought my lungs would explode!!! I need to find a route which is fairly flat as its making it much harder than it needs to be!! Am relieved I did it though and looking forward to the next one on Sunday. I wish I was confident enough to run round the streets as that would give me an even route. Oh well, onwards and upwards!!!!
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Congrats on completing w3r1, you'll be catching me up now :-)
I've struggled this week, my last run after taking 2 steps I knew I had nothing in my tank, no energy at all, I managed a 5k but could only run at 3mins at a time and the wind didnt help. Was supposed to start w5 today but only had 2.5hrs sleep after a 12hr shift before going back into work to sort out stuff for interviews on Monday, so rhe was no way I could've run today. This weekend consists of me working 7.30am to 21.00hrs sat & sun so I can't see me doing any running at all :-( prob will have to repeat w4 again, can't believe I'm getting so frustrated at not being able to run!!! I agree with planning the routes better even the smallest incline makes running that much more difficult. Don't know how I'm going to make the 10k run in Edinburgh at the end of may, can't see me getting there at this rate :-( but as you say, onwards and upwards, and even the littlest amount of exercise is better than none at all x
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi
Well this morning I did W3 R2. It wasn't very successful. I tried a different route, on the street but there was hardly anyone around as it was quite early. Managed ok til the last 3 min run, and like your last run I felt all my energy had gone, the wind was against me and I didn't complete the full 3 mins. I know what you mean about shifts, I have done them in the past and you can't fit much else in. I'm preparing myself to repeat week 3 if the next run isn't any better. Have no idea how I'll manage to run for a full 5 mins. I am disappointed but determined I will get there!!!
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Hiya, hope your doing well, tonight was my first run in 5 days, work this week has got in the way :-( started week 5 and managed the first 5mins ok, had to stop for 20 seconds on the 2nd 5mins and stopped for 10seconds on the 3rd 5mins, so I'm not too disappointed with that although i'm going to repeat todays run as i dont think running 8mins is within my reach yet. I feel I am an evening runner, even after a days shopping I felt better than when I go out in the mornings, so I think I need to organise my workload around this
Your prob coming up to week 4 now, let me know how your getting on
Nicola
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I just wanted to chime in! Don't change your route to avoid the hills.... they make you stronger and when you can accomplish those hills it makes you feel 10X's more successful! Also, when you do your first road race you can't control the course so imagine how fast you will be if it is a flat course and how prepared you will be if the course has a few hills! I live just outside of Denver and i run around the neighborhood, sometimes I dread the hills but I feel so much stronger after.... and where there is an upward slope there has to come a downward slope which always feels like a bit of a break after running up the hill!
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

I understand what you mean about the hills, but when your pushing yourself just to get to the end of the run, running uphill is really daunting and can be demoralising if you have to stop. The only reason I completed the run today was because I changed routes. Currently on w5r2 and only managed to complete it because I didn't run back up hill and stayed in the flat, i had to stop for about 12 seconds on the second run as it was. I know I couldn't have completed it if I'd run back up hill, but that was my first 8min run and I will make a point of running back up hill on the longer runs as time progresses. Although I must be gaining confidence as I'm going out when it's not so dark and running on main streets!!! Can't wait until I can run uphill for longer runs :-)
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi
I haven't been out since last Sunday! Have been late home every day and have not been feeling too great. Excuses I know!! I'm going out tomorrow to do W3 R3, and I'm anticipating repeating at least some of week 3. Nicola it sounds like you managed to get you momentum back after a few days off! I'm hoping I won't be back to square one!!
About the hill running, I do know what you mean about making you stronger, but it makes the last part of the runs really hard....I want to be able to run on the flat for the times I'm supposed to as a starting point. Having said that when I do manage to complete an uphill run I feel like I've really achieved something!! :)
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Wow, just done W3 R3!! I was surprised how I managed it considering I hadn't run for 6 days. It was pouring with rain and I felt really lethargic this morning so didn't fancy my chances at all.... However, it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. The first 2 runs were easy and with the first 3 min run I felt I could have kept going. Again it was the final 3 min run uphill which was the killer and I had to stop twice, although just for a few seconds, to get my breath back. Despite this I feel great now. Have had a mega difficult and stressful week and can't believe how much better this relatively small bit of running has made me feel!!!
However, I plan to repeat week 3 as I am determined to be able to finish the final 3 min run before moving onto week 4. Nicola, that's interesting what you said about being an evening runner.... I think I'm probably a morning one, although like you my runs have to fit round work etc.
Donna x