Four stone overweight but doing it!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Samphire73

Four stone overweight but doing it!

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi all
I've started the app along with a healthy eating plan as I'm approaching 40 in May and have started to panic. I'm not doing bad regarding my health, I'm quite active and have no problems yet. However as I'm about 4 stones overweight I realise its only a matter of time before health issues kick in. So I decided to get my rather big backside off the couch and do something I have done in the past ( about 5 years ago and not at this weight) with a determined leap into the world of running!
I joined a local running club who were doing a beginners course. This involved 2 mins running straight off and 2 mins walking in between which was tough and I felt very self conscious and so desperate not to be last (which I wasn't). I decided the rate of expected increase was too much so then I found this app!
I have this morning completed week 1 run 3 which was very difficult. I'm assuming its due to the snow, as the first 2 runs didn't leave me quite so out of breath. So here's to starting week 2 in a couple of days. I find the breathing very difficult and am hoping this gets easier. At the moment my legs are ok but obviously have only run for one minute intervals so far. It would be great to hear from any other overweight runners who have made progress, or who are starting out and need a bit of support.
Cheers
Donna :)
Nicola1

Re: Four stone overweight but doing it!

Post by Nicola1 »

Hi samphire, I'm on the same journey as yourself. A couple of years older and a little heavier :-( I too started in November with a beginners section of my local running club, and although I enjoyed( only went 3 times) they started me off running 2.5-3 mins runs, then I had to stop and totally recover before moving off again :-(
I've had this app on my phone for about a year but never really looked at it, until my colleague persuaded me to enter a 10k run in Edinburgh at the end of may!! Not much time I know but apparently it's doable, yikes.
I'm currently waiting to start W4r1 and have to say am not looking forward to it, although I always try to put in at least 1
extra cycle during my runs to try and boost myself, although this week has been a bad week with the snow and forced me to run on sand instead which just tortured me :-( you will find that somehow you manage to finish the set goals, it was only 3 weeks ago I was thinking I couldn't run for 1min solid but now that seems like a breeze, and I'm sure you'll feel the same, I've also found that doing this way has prevented really aching muscles the following day
Good luck on your journey and keep us posted
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for you're reply. You're doing great, good luck with week 4! At the moment I'm dreading week 2 and hoping the snow isn't as deep! I've been doing my runs around my local park and the full circuit is 2.2miles. Still not confident enough running on the street and very self conscious, think its because I get so out of breath! Need to work on getting my breathing in synch. Are you finding that aspect is getting easier?
I'm sure you'll do great on week 4! Let me know how you get on :D
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Hiya, you'll be surprised at how well you progress onto W2, I was saying to my hubby earlier, just when I start to feel comfortable and think I can do this, I start another weeks program and back to square one!!
Like you I am very conscious of how I look ( and sound when I'm breathing heavy), and wear my cap low down to hide, but have found a route that suits me, I can either run to a given point and return which is 2.5miles or do a circuit which is 3.1miles I've tried to do a 5k circuit once a week but didn't manage it this week, I just slow the pace and repeat the reps.
My breathing is still out of sorts, the only time it was ok was when I had a slight stitch and taking deep breathing eased it, so I was concentrating so hard on my breathing it acted like distraction therapy lol I might try W4r1 tomorrow, weather permitting as it is snowing again :-( I'll let you know how it goes
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Omg, well I ventured out today and this run was my worst. I was so willing for her to say only 10seconds left. Concentrated more on my breathing today which was better. I did run longer than supposed but couldn't manage a 3rd 5min run and had to stop before carrying on again. Mind you this may have something to do with the fact that I've run 3 times in 4 days so am definately having 2 rest days off now.
The weather here is clearing up quickly and hopefully that will make a difference although i am preparing myself to repeat this week before progressing on. Good luck with your next run I'm sure you'll be fine
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Well done for venturing out! Week 4 sounds tough, god help me when I reach it! It sounds like you did well, I gather its pretty normal for people to repeat sessions/ weeks and I'm sure I'll have to repeat more than one! I'm having a rest day today and am hoping to start week 3 Friday but it depends on what time I get home Friday eve. I was sat at uni today thinking I wish I was out running instead of being stuck here! That must be a good sign! Hahaha.
Well done for today and have your 2 days break. I bet you do even better with the next one!
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi again
Well this afternoon I have just completed week 2 run 1! I found the first few runs fine, managed to control my breathing better and got into a bit of a rhythm. The last run was harder but part of that I think is due to the last part of my circuit being on a slight upward incline. I definitely felt it more in my legs today running for one and a half mins and got a bit of a stitch near the end. As well as this app I used the runkeeper app too I've read about on here. It logged the route and I could see my pace during the walking and running stages which is encouraging!
I probably won't get out again now til Sunday. Let me know how you get on with your next run!! :)
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Well done on completing W2r1, I think we all should feel the burn towards the end of a run to let us know we are pushing that little but harder. Before you know it you will have completed this week and moving onto the next.
My knee were hurting last night in work so definately having my 2 rest days, although they feel better today, think I pushed a little too hard this last week ( the saying, tried to run before I could walk comes to mind lol)
I was lucky and hubby bought me a garmin forerunner 110 watch, it is fab, had it cheap off amazon and used our nectar points, it gives you all the workings out etc, but I don't use the heart rate monitor yet ( maybe never will) but I love to upload my runs to see how much height I gained, how fast I was going per mile etc it also gives you split laps, but dont know how to use that yet. I just like to see how far I go and did I go a little faster/further.
It's surprising how addictive running can be ( never thought I'd ever hear myself say that) I know I'm on rest days but find myself planning next run and could I do it sooner!! And find myself missing it on my days off
I know what you mean about the inclines, you look at them at think its only a slope but fels like a mountain when you start to run up it, that's why I had to stop on my 2nd 5min run the other day but we'll get there I'm sure
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Hi Nicola
Good luck with your run tomorrow! I'm having 2 rest days as can't go again til Sunday. Hopefully the snow will have cleared by then! Let me know how you get on tomorrow :)
Samphire73

Post by Samphire73 »

Well, this morning I completed W2 R2!!
I got up and thankfully all the snow had gone, to be replaced by driving rain and wind! I found the run difficult but doable, I'm still struggling to control my breathing, and the last couple of runs are still difficult. Today my legs felt like lead for the last bit. I have no idea how I'll manage to progress onto week 3 but hope after my next run I'll be ready! After the run I felt great and am amazed I'm enjoying it so much following my previous membership of the couch potato club!!
Bring on W2 R3!!!
:)