What do you listen to when you are running then?? ;)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Dawn

What do you listen to when you are running then?? ;)

Post by Dawn »

I just read in another post that you need music to liten to....and I thought that's a good topic for a post....so what are you listening to when you run?

I am listening Pendulum......In silico...oh and i still things that Right about now by Fatboy slim is the best walking/ running song ever! ;) It's a really good pace keeper
benjohn

Re: What do you listen to when you are running then?? ;)

Post by benjohn »

It might amaze you to hear that when I first developed Get Running, I wasn't planning on supporting music playback with the audio cues! I'm pretty glad I added that in! I think Matt (our web man, who set up these forums) helped to persuade me.

I sometimes like to run without music, but when I run with, I quite often listen to Rage Against the Machine, Green Day and Jamiroquai. Think you're right about "Right about now" – might have to put that on my pod :-)
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Actually, i would have loved the app just the same without music. I often (not that i have run that much yet!!! lol) run without music because of my dogs. I have to have my wits about me incase they go off and do something out of the ordinary...and I love being out in the open so all the lovely sounds are great too. But because my run is part of a long walk, I can put the tunes on so that i don't miss the cues from Ms Golden Voice! ;)
Lazy_Laura

Post by Lazy_Laura »

Well, I just started Day 1 Week 1 this morning, and I really wasn't sure what tempo of music to listen to. I figured something a bit upbeat would do the job, so I set my IPod to Genius Mix Teen Pop and it was perfect, lots of Pink and Take That, perfect for me :D

I can't wait to get out again on Monday and see what it brings me!!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Lucky!!! I put my iphone on shuffle last week - bad idea....i started to get a few christmas songs I downloaded for chritmas.......Little drummer Boy....not good!!! lol I am loving The Killers at the moment - mixed in with lots of drun and base!! lol
jessicaboykin

Post by jessicaboykin »

Right now I am running exclusively to Lady Gaga because that's all I have on my iPhone. I am too lazy to make playlists these days! I wish I could have Pandora running at the same time.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) There are some rumours that the net iPhone OS (to come out, it's rumoured, during the summer), will provide more freedom for background applications; it might become possible for something like Pandora to play music while Get Running coaches you, and ideally, while Run Keeper records your jog… That's the rumour, anyway, who knows what will actually happen!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

ooooo so I have to wait incase...I am due an upgrade in July! I see Norman Cook is traininf for the first Brighton Marathon in April....I wonder if he listens to his own music - because I still say he has made the best two running songs ever! ;)
Cantrunatall

Post by Cantrunatall »

Hi. I found that when I listened to music I wanted to sing along and couldn't. Also as I roughly knew how long the song was I could time myself slightly. Now I listen to books which distract me totally (kind of) from running as I needed to listen to hear the story. I am currently listening to The Left Hand of God which is very exciting. As I can only listen whilst on the move (or else I fall asleep) it is more incentive to go running whatever the weather. You have to get the right book the and more importantly a nice readers voice which you can try out on iTunes. :geek:
matt

Post by matt »

I listen to all sorts of things, mostly music. I found that while some podcasts can be great to run to -- very distracting! -- because the podcasts I listen to vary lots from week to week, with different lineups and guests and topics, it's hard to know in advance that you're going to like an episode enough to run with it...

Music is generally good -- I got through most of the Couch to 5k listening to various bits of music; I listened to lots of the more bouncy and energetic end of the kind of rock and pop I normally listen to. I found the iTunes Genius quite good for this -- I would find one good song for running, and hit the Genius button, and it'd generally keep the right feel going.

On the other hand, some things it came up weren't that smart: I have a couple of Madness albums in my library. And if I thought "Driving in my Car" was inappropriate for running, that was only until "Cardiac Arrest" started playing...

I also used a Mac app called Tangerine. It analyses your music library for beats per minute and strength of beat, and you can set it to generate random playlists of music with a good beat, that start off slow, for example, and gradually build up. Had some interesting results from that, many of them good. It's not that brilliant to use, and it won't work on DRM'd music (the older, non-iTunes Plus stuff), but I think there's a free trial...

I've also found that the kind of music I listen to when I'm running is different from the kind of music I listen to when I'm not. I don't normally like the more dance-y/electronic end of pop music, but I find Lady Gaga pretty good to run to :)

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)