What do you listen to when you are running then?? ;)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pollyester

Re: What do you listen to when you are running then?? ;)

Post by pollyester »

Here are a few of my fav's

Daft Punk-Harder Better Faster Stronger
Black Eyed Peas-I Got a Feeling
Cascada-Evacuate the Dancefloor

Someone from twitter also reccomended joelby podcast mixes, which were pretty good also.

Polly
Clare

Post by Clare »

I started off listening to music, but now I'm a complete convert to comedy podcasts, particularly the Friday Night Comedy Show on BBC Radio 4 - laughing your way through a run is definately the way to go!
keeleyboo

Post by keeleyboo »

I created a Running Playlist that has a variety of stuff...Country, 80's rock - Aerosmith, Bonjovi, then I jump over to Neil Diamond, Cher, Dave Koz, and then back to Black Eyed Peas. My husband makes fun of my music choices but I love the variety and hit the shuffle everytime I go so it's always different. The music keeps me going and I love the app telling me how much time I have left. Just finished Week 2 Run 1!
LuRPh

Post by LuRPh »

I put it on Shuffle and just listen to whatever comes on, however, when I need to go into the iPod app to skip a song, Get Running pauses. Since it usually only takes a couple of seconds, it hasn't really been a problem, but is there a way to forward your music within the app? I guess it won't make a difference after the 24th anyway with the new iOS.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Yes – it's all going to change in a few days! But until then, if you've got music playing, and you double press on the home key, then it'll bring up a little iPod controller that you can use for skipping tracks. Once you have iOS installed, a double press on the home key will bring up a switcher for moving between recent apps, and the same little switcher also has a quick access control for the iPod too.
violabird

Post by violabird »

I'm becoming a fan of extremely cheesy music when I run, I've only done two so far, but the first day I listened to the beach boys, and yesterday I listened to Queens greatest hits, which I found was ace to run to. Anything with a good beat and lyrics I know well so I can sing along to them in my head works for me! I'm planning on making some playlists with some real 80s and 90s cheese, to keep me amused whilst I do my next few runs! I'm only 28, but am totally out of touch with pop music, particularly recent stuff, so I think I'll stick with what I know!

One of the reasons I want to make specific playlists is that I've found that I could do with some calmer music to calm me down during my warm down after the elation of the running!
NervousNewbie

Post by NervousNewbie »

I listen to my favourites I just pick the high tempo stuff. So...Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, The Ramones, Green Day, Kings on Leon and that kind of stuff. Usually Bon Jovi for the most part :)
mcl

Post by mcl »

My musical taste tends to the extreme. And when I run I like to listen to the relentless beat of rhythmic noise. That ceaseless mechanical pounding does the trick for me. This is my current playlist: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 5&s=143444

Not for the faint of heart!
violabird

Post by violabird »

The last few runs I've done without music, and had my iPhone in an armband so I could run without headphones, as I found that they were really irritating me - kept falling out of my ears all the time! I'm relieved that it doesn't seem any harder without music, and I can enjoy the birds singing etc as I go out early in the morning :-)

Does anyone have any tips for how to keep the headphones in, for the days when I fancy a bit of music to run to?

Grace
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Ordinary headphones don't work for me either - I start sweating and they pop out so I've started using sports in-ear headphones. They have a soft rubber piece that pushes right into the ear and a hook that passes around the outside of the ear. I've been using these for a while and they never fail.