Week 5 run 3 - DONE!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
dharvey24

Week 5 run 3 - DONE!

Post by dharvey24 »

Hello all,
Just thought i'd check in and let you all know that W5r3 is possible!! I started back in December and missed a couple of weeks due to the snow here in the UK but got back on it a few weeks ago. Built myself back up and completed week 4 without a problem.

And then this morning I had the big one to complete, W5r3. To be honest at the beginning of the program I thought this would be impossible. I was out of breath after a minute, let alone after 20mins!! But the app gave me the confidence that this was possible, it had been right all the other times.

I messed around this morning preparing my gear, I didn't want to have to stop for anything. And then went for it, the first 5 mins of running are always tough for me. After that first 5 mins the mystical rhythm sets in and it feels like I can go forever. I'm no Mo Farah, just above fast walking but i'm running none the less. I got half way through and thought wow ive never ever run this far before in one go. Then it was just a matter of keeping the right pace and finishing. It was 6am this morning but I still raised my arms when I finished as if i'd run the Marathon. But what a great feeling. I know i can do the full 30mins now, but i'm pushing on to do an hour with a 10k booked in May to finish.

So if you've just started or half way through and seen this W5R3 20mins and thought I could never do that, I just have and trust me I was about as unfit as a 36 year old man can be.
Nicola1

Re: Week 5 run 3 - DONE!

Post by Nicola1 »

Congrats on finishing w5r3, it sure is an achievement, although I have hit the spot yet whwn I think I can run forever like some have. Just starting w7 and still long to hear the magical words of " only 10 seconds left" before stopping and fading for breath, although my recovery rate has improved dramatically.
Like you I have entered a 10k run in May in Edinburgh, hopefully it won't be too hilly!!! So am going to push on to try and run for an hour!! Wish they had this programme for a 5-10k others I've seen dont look as good.
Good luck with the rest if your runs
Nicola1

Post by Nicola1 »

Sorry meant to have said, "haven't hit the spot" bloody predictive txt
cornishclaire

Post by cornishclaire »

Good to hear this as my week 5 run 3 is tomorrow and i can't image i can do 20 whole minutes.
kevangogh

Post by kevangogh »

I also completed Week 5, run 3 today. My observations so far...

Weeks 1-3 are pretty do-able, though they are still rather difficult. Week 4 gets a little tough. You have to push yourself, seriously. Up until week 5 run 3, you really never have any confidence you will be able to complete this thing.

A lot of aches and pains in various places, it varies each time you run. One day your knee, then next your shins, or your calves, groin, or in multiple places simultaneously. There were days I could barely drag myself up the three flights of stairs to m apartment after the run. Since I'm 50 years old, I guess my recovery time is a bit longer but I found it helped me considerably to skip 2 days between the runs instead of just 1 day.

Week 5, run 1 - That was the only run I gave up on. Stinging cold headwind, just couldn't get into it. Went back the next day and did it again. I felt like I was going to die at the end of the last 5 minutes but I pushed myself and made it. My legs killed me for 2 days.

Week 5, run 2 - This was the run I felt like a change might be occurring. Yes, it was tough, but I slogged my way through it. My legs were not killing me like before. This slow process of running week by week is also building up muscle in my legs, my body is starting to adapt to this. I though in the beginning, "no way" but as long as you allow your body time to recover in-between the runs (and if you are having problems here, just give it an extra day or two)

Week 5, run 3 - Today. Up until this day, the most I was running was 16 minutes and that was broken up with rests. So now they're expecting me to run 20 minutes straight?!? But guess what...it was really no problem! I don't even feel beat up like I used to after the run. I could have gone further.

Week 5 is a big week if you ask me, big! If you can get over week 5, I think you are golden...
mmc69

Post by mmc69 »

I have been dreading w5r3 for some time now. Just re-finished w5r2 for the second time (took a week off for vacation) and still felt tired and very much out of breath. I'm wondering how I'm EVER going to run 20 minutes! Hopefully I will be back here on Saturday with good news! Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone!!
mmc69

Post by mmc69 »

Yes! W5r3 completed! It's true...you CAN do it. Had my doubts but after the first 5 minutes, the next 15 were very easy and felt "natural!" I made sure to pace myself...started a little slower right out of the gate and this allowed me to keep the same pace for the entire 20 minutes. I felt as though I could've run the entire 30 minutes!!! :D
NikkiNewy

Post by NikkiNewy »

I also completed W5R3 today - many thanks to the people in this thread who helped to convince me that I could actually do it!

I think there is a certain amount of psychology going on with the way the program presents you with such a big challenge relative to the preceding and subsequent runs - but whatever it is, it works! I feel like a proper runner now!

Cheers,
Nikki
louloubelle

Post by louloubelle »

Oh this thread is so helpful!!

I started W4 R1 today and really really struggled with the 5 mins! I did it, but my legs felt so limp towards the end and I almost fell in the door when I got home.

I flicked ahead to see what next week had in store, 8 mins seems a bit ouch but taking in to account the progress I have already made I figure it's achievable then I saw W5 R3! Oh good lord!! Really?

I have read all these posts saying it's possible but I'm really doubting myself, man I hope I can do it because I've really been enjoying this program!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Twenty minutes is entirely possible. The intervals in week 4 and 5 are a little less than 20 minutes, put together. If you can do the runs in week 4 and beginning of week 5, your head may tell you 20 minutes straight is impossible, but trust your body. It got you to week 5, it can get you through w5r3!