pavement or grass?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
shep

pavement or grass?

Post by shep »

Just a thought, being new to this running thing...is it easier to run on grass?
I have just finished wk 2 today, and have been running on grass, but just interested if pavement would make it harder -
have ended up with muddy trainers a few times, but enjoy being away from traffic and people, and being out in the fields.
And don't want to be spotted by anyone I know..yet!!
So does pavement make it harder jarring on the body or not? Thanks :D
starknut

Re: pavement or grass?

Post by starknut »

Running on pavement can be hard on your knees and shins, but that's no reason to not try it.
shep

Post by shep »

Thanks, will try it if fields get too muddy :-)
matt

Post by matt »

They're definitely different. I find running on grass and country tracks is less jarring, but seems to give my ankles more of a workout -- I think with the more varied surface angles and embedded rocks and what-have-you, you might be at slightly more risk of twisting an ankle, but it's never actually happened to me.

I generally prefer getting away from the city, so the local towpath and forest trails are my preferred haunts. But where I am it's rained so much for the last six months I've had to stick to the roads if I don't want splash through deep puddles and come back absolutely covered in mud. Hopefully the sunshine outside today signals a switch back to the tracks and trails!

You can get "trail shoes" which have better ankle support, better waterproofing/water drainage, and better grip on mud and grass, but they're pretty terrible on pavements, so I'd only look at them if you can do runs that are almost all trail, rather than a mixture.

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
shep

Post by shep »

thanks for replies...still running on grass, like being away from noise and people when running, and with lack of rain, ground still good. Starting wk 5 in 2 days yikes :shock: can't imagine completing it, but giving it a go. May have to repeat wk 4, but like running on grass, so unless gets muddy will continue to do so. :D