Where in the world are you, and where do you run?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NikkiNewy

Where in the world are you, and where do you run?

Post by NikkiNewy »

I mentioned this in another thread but thought a new thread might be better so as to keep the other one on topic.

I'm in Newcastle NSW, which is probably a runner's paradise - lots of good routes along the foreshore and beaches, and lots of parks. I mostly run in the Bar Beach area, because it's fairly flat, but when I graduate from Get Running I want to start tackling the hills - oh the hills we have in Newy!

On my last two runs I've seen pods of dolphins about 20 metres out to sea! :D

I think having a nice place to run really makes running more enjoyable. I'm not sure I would have come this far if I lived elsewhere. We're coming into winter now; it was a chilly 15C when I did this morning's run! ;) Seriously though, kudos to anyone who does the program in a northern hemisphere winter.

So, where are you and where do you run?
alienstwin

Re: Where in the world are you, and where do you run?

Post by alienstwin »

Hey! I'm Shelby. I live in the southeast of the U.S. in the Great Smoky Mountains near the Cumberland Gap (it's famous here but idk about anywhere else). Anyways, right now I run on a track but I'm hoping to build up to trail running. I am surrounded by national parks but the trails are usually pretty steep, so I am intimidated. The last time I hiked up a local mountain with some friends they all kept offering to call an ambulance, but my cardiovascular fitness is probably a lot better now that i am on week 3 run 3! My twin and I are planning on doing a warrior dash in October and a half marathon next year! It was 85 here today but it was 45 this am (fahrenheit). We get all 4 seasons in a day sometimes in the spring!
runjustrun

Post by runjustrun »

Hi, I'm Justin and I live Birmingham UK, at the moment I'm running in my local park which is about the five minute warm up from my house;) I'm quite lucky in that we have a few large parks nearby to pick from, just a cars drive away so spoilt for choice really. The weather hopefully looks like it may be picking up after the horrendous winter we've just had, though parts of shropshire had snow yesterday!! I'm may!!
NikkiNewy

Post by NikkiNewy »

Shelby, I just googled the Cumberland Gap - it looks stunning! Lucky you!

Justin mate, I can't say the same for Birmingham! ;) Tongue firmly in cheek there - I used to live in an absolute hole called Walkden in Salford, Manchester. Its one redeeming feature was Blackleach Country Park. Wouldn't mind doing a run there now. :) Amazing what a difference a good park makes. The weather has just been ridiculous over there the past 6 months or so. I blame the Tories. :P

No dolphins for me today, but there was a bright yellow stunt plane doing aerobatics over Bar Beach. :shock:
runjustrun

Post by runjustrun »

I know Walkden, I'm from Bolton originally, some nice parks there too lol. It isn't to bad where I live in Birmingham though, I'm right on the edge and can be in the sticks in literally five minutes:) Definetly no dolphins in sight though!
Mary935

Post by Mary935 »

Just starting week 3 and I'm in Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. My run is around the beautiful Castle Coole. Though more often than not it's bucketing rain and its easier to choose the treadmill..! :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi I'm Sarah. I am from Christchurch, New Zealand, aka quake city. It is interesting how to avoid potholes and road works. Though you do get the road work boys waving at you. Which keeps you going. I am in week 2 run 2. Actually loving it so far. Excited to be doing something that will be good for my health. :)
Last edited by Sarah on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dstemmerich

Post by Dstemmerich »

Hello all, I'm Danny and I'm in Michigan about 20 minutes north of Derroit. I run in my quiet suburb after dark when the rest of the creeps are out too. Lol. It's not much, but my music gets my mind where it needs to be!
atomica

Post by atomica »

I'm in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, and where I run is just my local neighbourhood where we have some nice parks but definitely not great scenery compared to some of you - and it is completely flat. I'm currently on week 5 and all is going well so far, in fact i'm enjoying it far more than I ever expected.

I run silly early in the morning as that's the only chance I get around work commitments and kids and it also means that I avoid the sun. The temperature now at the time I run is about 27c, but will rise in heat and humidity a lot over the next few months and this will present a tough challenge to test my newfound love of running. I will be thinking of those of you avoiding rain!
Yvonne2al

Post by Yvonne2al »

Hi, Im in Bristol, UK. Just started week 8 ( meantime repeated week 5 I think). Im glad it's not sooo sunny and hot here;)