Where in the world are you, and where do you run?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Frankandfeebi

Re: Where in the world are you, and where do you run?

Post by Frankandfeebi »

I'm in Forney, TX, which is about 20 miles east of Dallas. I'll be finishing week 2 tomorrow morning. It is incredibly hot here, usually in the 90's after noon, so I run in the mornings. There are no parks with shade trees nearby, so I drive to a nearby cemetery. It's actually very peaceful because no one bothers me! I hope I can keep this up, because I've discovered that I feel so much better when I run. I am trying to talk my husband into starting the program.
RunPono

Post by RunPono »

We're in Alameda, just across the bay from San Francisco and are fortunate enough to live right on the Oakland Estuary/harbor. We head out about 6am and run along the marina and along some disused ship terminals. It's a great mix of nautical and industrial, and it's all flat and quiet.

Nice to see all the Aussies and Brits here - my mum is from NSW and my husband's from the UK. :)
Winifred

Re: Where in the world are you, and where do you run?a

Post by Winifred »

Hi I'm in a little village in Kent in the UK. I'm on week 3.
I start the app just before I have to cross over a beautiful old bridge over a river. And at the moment there are always people picnicking there - mostly groups of school trips or a few elderly people who are eating out of Tupperware on a bench. Very British.
But it gets me in a happy mood before I start my run. (run doesn't kick in till I am well away from the tourists).
My route takes me on a road up to a Roman villa museum so there are the occasional coach parties and walkers but not much else. Today the sun was blazing down during my run and it was nice. Could be miserable come winter though....
Hmmm...
KI6H

Post by KI6H »

The name is Michael, I live in Los Angeles, California and run along Los Feliz Boulevard, a fairly busy 4-lane road that has beautiful wide grassy breaks with old trees overhead between the cars and the sidewalk. Lots of runners and walkers and dog-walkers use the same route. On Week 3 and enjoying it, even on hot days.
mountaindreams

Post by mountaindreams »

I'm in Russia, in the south of Russia, close to the Black Sea coast. Summers are extremely hot here, the only way to breath fresh cool air is to get up at 5 am, which I can't for the life of me. So I run in the evening and endure the heat, and think how splendid it will be to run in Autumn, when the air gets cool and I will have finished my couchto5k program. I'm now sure I will complete it, though I've only finished 3 weeks so far. I'm not overweight and I go hiking in the mountains pretty often, which is not easy and burns tons of calories, but I could never run even for a minute, that's a whole different type of activity. Today I was finishing my last 3 minutes run and felt I could do more! I kept running for 5 minutes and it felt so good. I've already discovered an acitivity I love thanks to this great app. There is a stadium on campus of a university close to where I live and I use it for running, as no parks or other nice trails are close by.
Gwends

Post by Gwends »

I am in Gainesville, FL home of the University of Florida, but I'm not a Gator fan. UGA (University of Georgia) all the way.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I'm live in a suburb just outside of Denver, CO. I tend to only run in my neighborhood. It does provide variety as I don't always stay on the same route. I can choose from small hill streets, to big hill streets to flat streets. I try to tackle them all on any given week to increase strength and stamina.
Hopeful runner

Post by Hopeful runner »

I am so jealous! First off, Tennessee is my favorite place in the world, so I'm completely jealous of that! Castles and beaches? I will daydream of these while I run in our local park here near Indianapolis. It's not fancy but its flat, safe, and completely marked so its easy to tell how far I've gone. I just finished week four, run 3 and I'm pumped! I can't believe ruining is actually fun!
Hopeful runner

Post by Hopeful runner »

Oh I forgot to mention its been in the 90's here with super high humidity! Definitely makes me struggle, but I keep thinking how easy it will be when Fall comes around:)
JackJack290

Post by JackJack290 »

Well here goes my first post. I am from Calgary, Canada and I am very lucky to say that all of my jogging and walking paths were not damaged by the floods. I do see there was a post from another Calgarian (Nevada) from before the floods started and hope that he/she survived without to much damage.

So I have not started jogging yet. I am going on 1hr long (fast pace) walks till Monday then I start. I am lucky to have a lot of paths around my neighbourhood that I can go on and the weather in the mornings is perfect. When I become more confident in my jogging skills I would like to try some of the paths in Fish Creek Park. This is a Provincial Park in the city. So good luck to all. Remember to have fun.