Week 5

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Sarah

Week 5

Post by Sarah »

Week 5 has started. I must confess that it was hard but I gritted my teeth and did it. My muscles are really sore at the moment. I still think that Friday will be good to get under my belt. What is the best advice any of you could give for the next two runs? :?
JogDog

Re: Week 5

Post by JogDog »

Today was my W5 R1 too! I am planning when and where I do my runs carefully. I want to be somewhere I dont have to worry about traffic and I am going earlier to beat the heat. Also I am making sure I have a lot of good music to keep me going! :D
runjustrun

Post by runjustrun »

The best advice I can give is to control your breathing and relax,I tend to inhale two steps and exhale two steps, that works for me, and be positive, you've got this far:) once you complete this week you'll have no problems completing the course, I've got two runs left and I graduate and still sometimes doubt weather I'll complete a run, but I've already done it so I know I can :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks so much guys. :P
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Well wk 5 run 2. Was so much easier than run 1. That's probably due to getting into the zone. Run 3 here I come. Also there is less walk breaks as :mrgreen: well which messes with the zone thing. :D
JogDog

Post by JogDog »

Good job. I just completed W5 R2 and it was better than I thought. I do notice that once my breathing becomes rhythmic I can keep going even if it's slow. Looks like this Friday is both of our big run days. 20 minutes no stopping. We can do it! I think my biggest motivators will be my dogs, they are loving this program :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Yeah. I did it 20 whole minutes. I also did over 3.3 km thats just over 2 miles for those of you that use imperial measurement. Jogdog you can definitely do this if I can :mrgreen:
JogDog

Post by JogDog »

Awesome job! Congratulations! My run started at 0750 this morning and I had my doubts! But I did it.. it was slow but I never stopped or walked. At one point I saw that my dogs were just walking next to me as I plodded along :lol: . I picked a lovely trail next to sunflower fields and there was water for the dogs to wet their bellies after we were done. They still had PLENTY of pep left. My knees ached a little but that went away fast. Looks like we did it, we conquered the beast :twisted: W5R3. So we are on track for W6R1 on Monday 17. I should be able to do it! Well, congratulations again and enjoy your well earned rest !! :D
Cantabrigian

Post by Cantabrigian »

Just done W5R3 - I've probably never run 20 minutes non-stop before in my entire life! The first five minutes were the hardest (and longest), mainly because I was thinking what a long way I still had to go. I wouldn't exactly say it got easier, but I kept going and never got anywhere near being tempted to stop. On to next week - it really does look as if I can do this thing!

Andrew
Regina2062

Post by Regina2062 »

I love this app. I have always wanted to enjoy running, but I never could. Just finished week 5 run 3, which I have been dreading right from the start. I turned 50 last year, and today I ran the dreaded run. The first few minutes (uphill) were a struggle, but once I hit 3 minutes, it started to get better. Its great to have those 5 minute prompts so you know how you are doing to keep you motivated, and now I have done this, I KNOW I can get to the end. Week 6 here I come... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D