Running with a hangover

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
verity

Running with a hangover

Post by verity »

Dear Forum,

I am new to running (just about to start week five), however, I have been put off my stride, so to speak, by having an almighty knees-up at the weekend. Three days later and I'm still a bit tired. What are the rules on running with a hangover? Is it advisable? Many thanks.
Biscuit-Breath

Re: Running with a hangover

Post by Biscuit-Breath »

I ran with a bit of a hangover on Tuesday - it was awful, I did not enjoy it at all!

I was running W4R2, my head was banging, I was hot, and probably dehydrated.

I finished it, I think my run was slower than my walk, but had a headache for the rest of the day.

Never again!

Even if I have to miss a day or two, I am not running with a hangover again.

The flip side of course is not to get drunk in the first place!!!
Snapzzz

Post by Snapzzz »

For me i would have to say it depends on the size of the said hangover. Three days later and i would say 'man up'!
verity

Post by verity »

Dear Biscuit-breath and Snapzzz

Many thanks for your responses. Biscuit-breath, thanks for the empathy and Snapzz, thanks for the size-of-the-hangover-scientific-approach to the dilemma. I especially liked the, 'man up,' instruction.

Ashamedly, I have not yet got out there again. It was a huge hangover - much fun was had and it was a legendary party. And as for the manning-up instruction, well, I will do that over the next couple of days. I've not yet had the courage. Feeling kinda small at the moment but know I will talk myself round. Thanks x
britnilinda

Post by britnilinda »

I wouldn't recommend running having a hangover. The main reason why drinking alcoholic beverages doesn't mix with running happens because alcohol has some sort of dehydrating effect. When you are feeling hungover, you are actually very not properly hydrated.