Thought 3 mins was going to kill me!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Winifred

Thought 3 mins was going to kill me!

Post by Winifred »

Hi. Just wanted to say that I'm a total newcomer to running and thought I would never get past the first week. But today I ran Week 3 Run 2. I honestly thought I would die doing a 3 minute run but it appears that I am still alive.
I'm quite overweight and am in the middle of a nightmare marriage break-up so thought the running might do me some good - for both my health and keeping me sane! Seems to be working so far I think. I always feel quite good after a run and I seem to have lost about half a stone so far.
There's a load of other very energetic and glamorous mums who go running together straight after the school drop-off every morning so I am avoiding that time and going round our village at lunchtime instead - and try and go down a road that hardly anyone goes down so people won't see me going bright red and puffing and panting and then stopping after just a minute or so. I want to shout out if someone passes as I stop - "NO LOOK - IT'S an APP!! I'm on a proper fitness programme. It's called couch to 5k. Look I could keep going all day but the nice lady in my ears told me to walk!" of course I couldn't carry on running at all; I'm about to collapse but they don't need to know that.
Anyway just to say the 3 minute runs this week have been total killers. Unfortunately the first of my 3 runs is timed so that I am just going up a slight but steady incline as I go into it. I kept feeling my legs want to give up but I'd read so many people on here saying that you just need to keep going so I kept that in mind and that's what I did. I slowed right down and as I reached the brow of the hill felt this immense relief and satisfaction. And then ran down the hill for 30 secs till the nice lady said stop. I think if a car had come past they may have called for ambulance to be honest. But hey, I'm back home now. And of course the second 3 min run felt easier because it was flat!

Really determined to keep this up now - and hoping this forum will help!
JogDog

Re: Thought 3 mins was going to kill me!

Post by JogDog »

GOOOOOOOOD JOB!!!!!!!!! :D
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Good job. Remember not to think too much ahead with your runs. That can mess with your mind a bit. Keep pacing yourself and slowdown when you need to. You can do it. Kia kaha (Be strong).
Biscuit-Breath

Post by Biscuit-Breath »

Keep it up, you are doing great!!!

I am on week 4, doing 5 minute runs, and it's hard!

I can't imagine getting to week nine, but we will, just keep at it!
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

That first 3 min run of week 3 was by far the hardest run ive done. I can remember being so desperate to hear that voice tellling me to stop and walk, that when i heard it and it was only telling me how long i had left i was totaly crushed and stopped dead in my tracks thinking i cant do this. Its the only run ive failed and i turned the voice prompts off after that.