Increasing speed

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Cantabrigian

Increasing speed

Post by Cantabrigian »

Ok, so I've done two of the three 25-minute runs in Week 7, which I would never have believed possible a few weeks ago, but my speed is very low - just over 5 mph ( 8kph) overall. At this rate I'll only be doing a little over 4km on the 30-minute runs, and it would take me 35-40 mins to run 5k. Should I be trying to increase my pace? Will it happen naturally as I keep running? Or is it OK to keep going at whatever pace is "comfortable"?
Petra

Re: Increasing speed

Post by Petra »

I'd advise to finish the program in a pace that is comfortable for you, and not worrying about your speed. After finishing the program, you can start working on your speed. The app 'Runkeeper' (a very useful app anyway) has some built in training schemes for training for a 10k under 55, 60 or 65 minutes, whatever you prefer.
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

Im in week 8 and yesterday decided i would run for a full 5k it took me 40 mins which is slow but felt great and to be honest i would like to run for longer instead of faster.
Cantabrigian

Post by Cantabrigian »

Thanks Petra - I'm already using Runkeeper to measure my speed and distance, and I've been looking into its workout programmes to see what I might do after Week 9 of get Running (just finished W7 today!) "Sub 65 min 10k" is probably the most likely contender at the moment.

Runner08 - well done for keeping going that long, I am impressed. (Nearly as impressed, or even amazed, as I am at myself for doing 25 minutes!)
britnilinda

Post by britnilinda »

I think it will increase naturally just keep running. Everyday it'll increase a little bit. :)