Week 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Cantabrigian

Re: Week 2

Post by Cantabrigian »

Sally - you might want to see your doctor about the muscle pain. When I first started trying to run I got bad pain in the calf muscles (also to a lesser extent when I walked fast) which meant that by week 2 I could barely keep up. After a bit of investigation it turned out that I had a condition called Compartment Syndrome; I had surgery to relieve this earlier in the year, and soon after that restarted on Get Running: I finished it a few weeks ago and am now doing a programme with RunKeeper, and (so far) doing runs up to 5 miles, which I would never have thought possible a year ago.

Alternatively the pain might be due to other circulatory problems in your legs , but in any case it would be worth getting it checked out - good luck!
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

I used to get realy bad calf pump during my runs, it was instantly relieved when i moved from an asics shoe to a new-balance, i was shocked at the difference they made and havent looked back.
Prkwy

Post by Prkwy »

It does get easier Sally! I am going to complete W6R3 tomorrow for 25 min straight and I am looking forward to it. Give yourself as much opportunity to succeed as you can. Keep a slow pace, or slow it down even more if you have to. Run only on straight roadways, or a track or treadmill. You can worry about speed later. For now, I found that what works for me is keeping a positive outlook and being happy that I am running, moving and feeling alive. I try not to compare myself to others, I just enjoy my successes in running, whatever it is. It has worked for me, it can work for you!