Help!Week 2 and already struggling!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Sugar11

Help!Week 2 and already struggling!

Post by Sugar11 »

Hi there

Please tell me I'm not the only one really struggling! I'm only on w2r2 and can't believe how hard I'm finding it. Feel like giving up, maybe I'm just not running material. Should I just keep repeating the weeks. Feel very fed up with myself. I'm 37, not over weight and otherwise pretty fit (apart from my cardio - obviously!).
starknut

Re: Help!Week 2 and already struggling!

Post by starknut »

Don't give up! It's so easy to get discouraged, and it will happen to everyone at some point in the program, but just keep running! Repeat those runs as many times as you need to, and remember that if you're struggling, SLOW DOWN. Doesn't matter how slow you're going, as long as you're GOING.
Biscuit-Breath

Post by Biscuit-Breath »

Keep going!!!

I felt like giving up after week 1, but kept at it and am now starting week 7, three 25 minute runs!

You will slowly feel yourself get fitter, you will run for longer, you will recover more quickly during the walks, but it's a gradual thing.

Just enjoy and go at your own pace.

Good luck xxx
Winifred

Post by Winifred »

I too am now on week 7. I have found it really tough at times esp the first five minutes (and esp if I've not run for a couple of days or more). I have felt like giving up so many times during the run but whenever I feel like that I just keep imagining my kids' faces when I tell them that I actually ran for 25 mins today and then thinking how rubbish I'd feel if I didn't complete the run. The feeling of elation when you've run is amazing. I am in my 40s, overweight and really unfit. I don't enjoy every minute of the run when I'm doing it because it is really difficult at times but I do feel really good when I get back and I know it will all get easier. Keep at it! The system really works. A few weeks ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds and today I ran for 25 mins. Good luck and keep going!! You really can do it!!
lankeymarlon

Post by lankeymarlon »

I seriously found weeks 2 and 3 the hardest. Now I have found my pace, I am on Week 5 and the runs feel like they are getting easier. The app is all about building up your tolerance as well as fitness. I'm sure if you get through this next week you'll be fine. Remember to slow down if you are really struggling.
Bushbasher

Post by Bushbasher »

I hope your struggles are less intense and you haven't given up. I'm struggling in week 4. I've tried one of the runs twice now and just can't do it. (I was feeling a bit yuk at the time and have put it down to this). So I've decided to go back to week 3 and really concentrate my efforts there...and I feel I'm being kind to myself too which can only be a good thing. Knowing that someone else out there is struggling too will make me feel like I have a kindred spirit when I attack those new runs later this week.
Sugar11

Post by Sugar11 »

Hi there

No I haven't given up but almost did! I had a break of 5 days because I was away and knew if I didn't do it as soon as I got back I would never do it. Unbelievably I found it easier than all the rest! I'm so pleased I pushed on. How are you getting on with repeating week 3? If I can do it, you can too! Pls let me know.
Bushbasher

Post by Bushbasher »

Hi Sugar, I was ill for a while, but am very, very proud to advise I've just finished Week 5...I will admit to failing the full 20 mins but I did make it to 15 without stopping. (Excuses include a 50knot headwind and a slightly uphill bit of road....). I may look at giving it another shot before moving on to the next level. What made me really motivated to continue was doing a couple of those 2x8 min runs on the treadmill at the gym. I know it's not the same as actual running, but it gave me the confidence to know I could do it. I also posted to a local runners site on Facebook and received a lot of replies which was really encouraging. As a funny postscript, when I caved in at the 15 min mark yesterday, I sat down on what looked like a lovely patch of grass next to a church...but it was full of three cornered jack prickles which all poked into my backside! How's that for karma! :roll: