W5R3 20 min done!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Prkwy

W5R3 20 min done!

Post by Prkwy »

Just completed the dreaded 20 min run and I will say that I had myself psyched up to believe that this was going to be impossible, but it was possible and it is done! I slowed my pace down but kept running and the time went by quickly! Others have posted that hearing Clare say we can call ourself a runner and I must agree, it is a big boost! If this Clydesdale runner can run 20 minutes anyone can! I am really looking forward to W6 now. Maybe the psychological hurdle is over for me because now I really believe I can do it! I will never be a world class runner, but I can be a part of the healthy group that call themselves runners! I may always be at the back of the race, and at or near the bottom of the times, but I WILL be a runner running the race! We all can be, and for me, that is what matters! Enjoy your run!!
Runner08

Re: W5R3 20 min done!

Post by Runner08 »

Well done!! Its an awesome feeling completing the dreaded 20.
Prkwy

Post by Prkwy »

Thanks Runner, it sure is! I look forward to more running milestones as I progress. What a wonderful thing running can be!
cuffink9girl

Post by cuffink9girl »

I do my 20 min run Friday! I'm totally stressed about it! The 8 min runs were hard today. Really hope I can do it. Not really sure why they would throw a 20 min run in at this point. So far I had had good success. Wish me luck!
starknut

Post by starknut »

cuffink9girl wrote:I do my 20 min run Friday! I'm totally stressed about it! The 8 min runs were hard today. Really hope I can do it. Not really sure why they would throw a 20 min run in at this point. So far I had had good success. Wish me luck!
You can do it, and here's why: w5r1 has you running for 15 minutes. w5r2 for 16. Four extra minutes? Is totally do-able. It only seems impossible because there are no breaks, but really, you've basically almost run 20 minutes already in week 5. Trust your legs!
Parish87

Post by Parish87 »

I finished this 20 minute run yesterday - I was dreading it but I couldn't believe how it went - I slowed my pace down a bit but by the end I sped up quite a bit and felt I could go for longer if I needed to! Don't get put off by the first run without a walk break, just go a little slower and you'll be fine. This is when you realise the training you've done up until now was really worth it and has been working!
Bushbasher

Post by Bushbasher »

Fantastic! I did this run yesterday as well although I just couldn't make the final five minutes. I'm not beating myself up about it...I'll give it another try in a day or two, and now I know it can be done, I'm hopeful the psychological barrier will be less of a hurdle. I'll also choose a flatter route! :D