Week 9 Run 1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Mahnster1

Week 9 Run 1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Tomorrow morning is week 9 run 1. This program has already accomplished everything I hoped and more. I did week 8 more like week 9 and last Saturday, week 8 run 3, I found myself in a 5K honoring a friends daughter lost to cancer. It was a wonderful cause and figured I would get w8 r3 out of the way. I warmed up by walking 5 min before the race. I have not run in a group for a very long time, and when the race started there was a lot of temptation to take off with the group. Fortunately, my better judgement took over. I kept a steady pace. The minutes added up. Soon I was at 25, then Clair said I was at 28. I had been sneaking up to 30 all week so I figured I would go on. Run keeper then said I was at 30. I wasn't done yet and at 33 my cool down walk was supposed to be done, but I was still running. At that point, I saw the finish line and thought "I can do this" and kept going. I was finally close enough to see the clock, it was coming up hard on 36 min. I pushed out all I had left and managed to get to the line at 35:56 on the clock. Slower than molasses in winter, but for me, I never broke the run. I was amazed, thrilled, elated, you name a good emotion, I felt it. It was an amazing feeling!

Only 9 weeks prior, before I started C25K, I could run no more than 5 min straight (on a good day) and I was spent, now here I was actually running a full 5K. Many folks on here relayed both their successes and their set backs. Every stories was an inspiration and motivated me to keep going. During the program, I got a bad pair of socks and blistered both my heels..used band aids for that. Walked my way into a case of shin splints by doing too much too fast...read some great advice here, got better shoes and an extra day of rest and got past that. Tightened my new shoes a little too tight and got a blister on my foot...treated it best I could and got through the 5K. I took 2 days off after the 5K and the blister feels pretty good, so back at it tomorrow to finish the program. On top of that, I lost 1 stone during the program to go along with 1 stone the 12 weeks prior on diet alone.

If you are new to this and stumbled on my post, I highly encourage you to read through the numerous posts and inspiring stories. I can almost guarantee that someone has a story similar to yours. That person put aside their hardship and succeeded using this program. Good Luck, you can do it!