Help!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
fatguy

Help!!

Post by fatguy »

Just started yesterday. I made it through BARELY! What the hell is wrong with me? I need to hear from folks who could hardly breathe during week 1 and are seeing success. Run 2 is tomorrow and I am more than a bit discouraged! How did I get this way? My kids love to run around and their fat dad (40lbs over) has to make excuses why he can't. Help please!
starknut

Re: Help!!

Post by starknut »

Hello there! I've done the C25k program several times and am training for a half marathon at the present. I've lost about 25 pounds through running/diet changes. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, I guess you might say. :lol:

First of all, RELAX! It is going to be a struggle at first! No one finds this program easy or even fun at the beginning. No one, I promise. I ran 8 miles straight last weekend and was still not as sore, tired and winded as I was the first few weeks of Get Running. So just keep at it and it will get easier with time.

Second, breathing. Slow down as much as you need to without stopping to walk. It doesn't matter if you're getting outpaced by snails, you keep running. Try to keep your breath steady, though this is a major challenge in the early weeks. No open mouthed gasping if you can help it, because that is what will give you side stitches. Steady in, steady out. Most people don't get good at that until about week 5 or 6. Just keep trying, and eventually it becomes second nature.
Riley124

Post by Riley124 »

Congratulations on starting! That is hard. Read the posts on this forum and you will see everyone finds it hard. I couldn't run more than 30 secs at the start and I started a few times!!! Now I stuck with the programme and I am now on wk7 running 25 mins!! Every run is a struggle to start still but I found once I made it to end of wk 4 I started believing in myself that I could do this. Keep at it, go slow and steady and you will be surprised at what you can run. Ps keep reading and posting here as well.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

First, what Starknut said. I took a little longer trip to C25K, I tried to get running on my own for about 4 weeks prior. I moved, but it was far from ideal. The thing I did get out of it was the ability to walk at a solid pace for 25-30 min. I guess my thing is if you are relaxing, going as slow as you can etc. then consider walking 25-30 min for a week "0". It is not that big a deal. Do that 3 times then reattach week 1. Everyday and every minute you are moving, you are getting healthier. My 4 weeks before I found this program set me up for success. That said, running that 8th one minute run had its challenges.
One thing I would suggest if you haven't done so is get a medical checkup. This past winter, I was having chest pains I couldn't explain. I was petrified! Everytime I considered moving, I would over dramatize every ache and pain untill I finally saw my doctor. 8 months later, I ran my first 5K, finished the program last week, and am running 5Ks as part of a regular run. I started moving 60 lbs over weight, and am now only 30lbs over weight and still slowly losing, but my legs are all muscle! It is great!
However, whatever you do, do something. You can do it, even if you feel like turtles can pass you, that is ok, you will get better. As was also said, there are many very inspiring stories on this board. Many who wanted to give up, but they didn't. You keep going. You can do it. Good luck and have fun!
fatguy

Post by fatguy »

Completed week 1, run 2!!! I listened to others and reduced speed. I'm doing this on a treadmill and reduced running speed from 6mph to 5mph. Feeling great! Thanks for advice. Back to it on Sunday!
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

While treadmill means air conditioning it prevents you from letting your body tell you how fast it can go. I tried the program on treadmill (at 4.5 mph) and failed. Outdoors I'm running slower than I can walk but I'm having more success because my body is telling me exactly how fast it can go at each step, each 10 seconds, each run, each walk interval. Using runkeeper to record my heart and speed showed me that my speed is changing all the time.
fatguy

Post by fatguy »

So is using a treadmill a bad idea?
Prkwy

Post by Prkwy »

Fat guy, first congratulations on starting and keeping with the program. Today I go out for my last run, week9 run 3 and I will be doing it on a treadmill. Either way is fine in my opinion. Each person has a different evaluation method. I set a goal of finishing the program without hurting myself. That doesn't mean I am not sore or tired after some runs, but I wanted to avoid shin splints, fractures, strains,etc.... And I was able to. I tried to set myself up for success rather than trying to be what others consider a runner. Sometimes I ran outside and sometimes on the treadmill. When I was getting tired I slowed downs, almost to a walk-shuffle. Sometimes I ran a fast pace (for me) which according to GPS was about 5.8. But bottom line for me is who cares! I am running for me and my family to get healthier! I am never going to be a world class runner, winning marathons and any other race I enter. I am a 52 year old, slightly overweight (less overweight than before I started the program) man who is having a blast, enjoying nature and actually enjoying running! You tun where and when you want! As long as one foot goes in front of the other and your moving you will be doing a great thing! Find out why I is your running this program, and set your goals! Believe me, treadmill or anyplace else, you will succeed and have fun. You can worry about your time and where you should run when you complete the program! Enjoy your run, I will let you know when I complete my W9R3 on the treadmill later!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Fatguy, no, treadmills are fine! Set the incline to about 2 degrees so that it's more similar to running outdoors. That way, if later on you decide to take your runs outside, the transition is not so painful. Treadmills are great for those just starting out because they're easier on your shins and knees.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

I didn't use a treadmill because I had a very particular and personal goal for the program. Which means that as was said before, treadmill our outdoors it doesn't matter, just do it. I have tried treadmills in the past and they didn't translate to out side very well for me. Now it is in my mind, so I had to go outside. However, if the wx is bad, I don't wait for it to get good again, I jump on the treadmill. And next time I will set the incline to 2 as suggested above.