Wk 7 done

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Riley124

Wk 7 done

Post by Riley124 »

Week 7 done, I know I have done amazing from not being able to run for 1 minute to running 25 but I really feel that I am at my limit. I can't see how I will ever run 5 k.
starknut

Re: Wk 7 done

Post by starknut »

Don't worry about running 5k right now. Focus on the more immediate thing: week 8! Once you finish the program, depending on what kind of distance you are covering, you may find that a 5k is not that big of a stretch. Or maybe you'll decide to just keep on running 30 minutes, and not worry about distance. It doesn't matter right now.
alanmcd

Post by alanmcd »

Riley124 wrote:Week 7 done,... I really feel that I am at my limit.
Ok, so you were at your limit today? You did week 7 so you either were right at your limit or more likely you just think you were at your limit. The whole point of the program is to slowly raise your confidence, and slowly raise your ability.

Don't even think about the end of the program, just the next run. Don't think that you will fail; plan to succeed. If it you find that one of the runs is just too much at that moment, that particular day, with that particular night's sleep, that particular meal before you went running, and you need to walk for a few minutes before finishing that day - you will know that you reached a limit. Rest up, eat well, and then repeat that particular run again with confidence that this time you will succeed because it is the same amount of running time just without the break.

There is no deadline. There are no rules, and there is no test at the end. The end will come when you have run for thirty minutes, three times and your only disappointment will be the loss of your running partner (claire). The program gave you goals, and when you are done you will chose a next goal -which will probably to run 5K, (or to run in a public 5K if you managed to run a 30 minute 5k in the program).

I just finished W6 at 7:34/km pace which suggests that either I will be able to run both faster and longer at the end of the next three weeks achieving 5k in 30 minutes, or what seems more likely that I will succeed to run 30 minutes, and need to continue working up to being able to run for 37 minutes. Either way I'm going to be ecstatic.

You can do it!
Bushbasher

Post by Bushbasher »

Hi, I'm at the same point as you and have found the longer runs intensely challenging. The first run for 20 mins without stopping in wk 5 was probably the worst, and I feel it was about breaking through a mental barrier. I had to do that one twicw because i bailed at 15 mins and promptly sprawled onto a very prickly patch of grass.

On Sunday, I did the first 25 mins without stopping which again was very hard to complete...but I did it! I kept a little slideshow running through my head of key words that work for me. Such as, "strength", "success", "achievement"...which I know is all a bit cheesy and American but it kept me focused on something else. I was running around a lake in our capital city and did an ostentatious fist pump when I made it, startling a few senior citizens. At the time I didn't feel I could go another step, but I just know I can. And the moral of his story is, so can you! We may not be the fastest or go the furthest, but damn if we're not trying our hardest.