App left me running... 32 minute W7R1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
alanmcd

App left me running... 32 minute W7R1

Post by alanmcd »

The GetRunning App on iOS/iPhone5 was great until Apple changed things in iOS7. On my last two runs of W6, I had a workaround for the app crashing - just restart the app and fast forward to the start of running.

This week the workaround was not enough and the app silently stopped during the running segment. I couldn't remember when the 25 minute run started so I stopped running when I thought I had been running for 25 minutes. It turned out I ran for 32 minutes (4.25km).

Perhaps it is time to switch to smoothrun and program in the remaining 25, 28, and 30 minute walk/run/cooldown intervals. I've heard the voice is not as pleasant as Claire, though.

(The 25 minute W6R3 and today's 32 minute run really wiped me for the rest of each day. I read someone's post that they felt the app holds people back when they could actually just go out and run the final 30 minute runs if they put their mind to it. I guess I proved their point, but I feel increasing my running time to 30 minutes now will leave me weakened, and susceptible to catching the cold or flu that is circulating among the people I interact with each day. I'm not working toward any deadline or rigid goal. I feel the GetRunning app has been pushing me quite hard - no slacking in this program. I've watched my pace go down each week as the run time has gone up. I don't want to keep running at the ragged edge of my physical condition.)

Alan
benjohn

Re: App left me running... 32 minute W7R1

Post by benjohn »

Hi Alan,

Sorry about this. It's a bug with Get Running 1.10.0 under iOS7. I have just submitted a fix that corrects this problem (1.11.0), and once Apple finish their review it will be available for download.

In terms of running times, if you want, spend more time with each week – you can extend each week for as long as you wish. I certainly did when I first went through it! You'll find that you will adapt to the extra distance, and then you'll probably want to go further.

When I do any exercise, I always like to finish exercised, but not exhausted. That way I get a good buzz from it and I want to do it next time around, rather than having an off-putting memory of how shattered I felt! Sometimes it's difficult to judge the point (especially when stupid Apps play up, sorry), and it's something I continually monitor.

All the best, and happy running,
Benjohn
benjohn

Re: App left me running... 32 minute W7R1

Post by benjohn »

The iOS 7 fixes have been approved by Apple and the update should be available for download now or very shortly.

Thank you, and happy running,
Benjohn