This might be running heresy but...

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Magnolia

This might be running heresy but...

Post by Magnolia »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share what's been going on with my legs and see if anyone has experienced anything similar or has any thoughts.

Three weeks into the program I started experiencing pain in my right shin. I had been fitted for "real" running shoes at one of those stores where they analyze your gait. I am also a very diligent stretcher. I ended up trying SuperFeet insoles in said "real" running shoes. I also started trying to change up the direction I ran on the street (because my pain was only in one leg I thought the slight incline on the edge of the road might be the culprit).

The pain progressed from a someone-kicked-me-in-my-shin to something worse. I ended up taking a week off. My next stop was going to be my ortho.

Here's where I get to the potential heresy. :shock: While on my week off, I was whining to a runner friend of mine. She said that she found that the more expensive and fancy the shoes, the more problems SHE had with shin splints.

So, on a hunch, when I ran after my week off, I wore some 8 year old shoes that I bum around in. No pain. That was a week 3 run. I was supposed to be on week 4, but since I took a week off, I wanted to do one more week 3. I am on week 4 now and still no pain. AT ALL.

It goes against everything I've ever thought, but do shoes really matter that much??

Again...anything similar? Any thoughts?
Likeacat

Re: This might be running heresy but...

Post by Likeacat »

You may be on to something, Magnolia.
I am learning that less might be more for me and running shoes. For three months I have been running in Saucony Progrid Glides, a stability shoe, because my feet are flat. I now have posterior shin splints. I have not run for almost a week. My legs were feeling much better today, so after stretching a bit I jogged a short distance ~100 feet to see how I felt. PAIN. Very discouraging. A couple of hours later I took my running shoes off and jogged a bit down a long hallway and felt only a tiny bit of pain. I tried the shoeless jog again, still only a small amount of pain. I was about to buy new running shoes anyway, maybe I will try some minimalist running shoes. My neighbor says he has switched to very light, simple, racing shoe with great results. It is worth investigating.
violabird

Post by violabird »

I'd recommend you read 'born to run' which expands on this subject and is very inspiring too! Like you I started suffering an injury from around week 3 (ankle pain) and after looking into 'barefoot running' decided to try running in minimal footwear. I run in wetsuit shoes, as I can't afford 'proper' barefoot running shoes, but they are great and the pain in my ankle disappeared almost immediately.

It's a totally different style of running and as you use slightly different muscles you have to be careful to build up to it gradually, or you could cause yourself a different injury!

Personally I've found it to be brilliant! If you google 'barefoot running' you'll find that there are whole hosts of people abandoning the usual running trainers for something more simple.
docwatson223

Post by docwatson223 »

My own experience when I was prepping for SFAS was that running shoes caused more problems then they solved. I now run with Vibram FiveFingers KSO and don't have any shin splint issues. The VFF are not easy to get used to but once you get your feet muscles up to par you will find an easier run.
Magnolia

Post by Magnolia »

Thanks so much for the feedback!

The "real" running shoes I was fitted with were mild stability (Brooks Adrenaline). I am wondering now if that started my whole problem... Maybe I didn't even need a stability shoe.

I am not sure I am ready for barefoot running yet, but I ordered Born to Run from Amazon this morning. It looks great! Thanks for the recommendation.

I think I do need to get new shoes after all. Sigh. I am just not sure what kind. After running in my old ones a few times, my shins are still good, but the shoes are rubbing blisters on my arches. :cry: I thought about putting my SuperFeet insoles in them, but the blisters are being created by a seam in the side of the shoe, so I'm not sure replacing the insole would help.

I need to figure out something because I'm supposed to do W4R3 today.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

I was going to say Re bare foot – you don't need to decide to do it and never try anything else again :-)

You could find yourself some nice looking grass (probably no dog poo and glass, and fairly short) and try out week one on it. See how it goes. If you like it, then think about getting some of those "bare foot" shoes.

Hope it clear up,
Benjohn
BryanOC

Post by BryanOC »

I have to agree with this post. I got recommended some shoes which caused blisters on the balls of my feet. This was due to the slightly harder instep. I went back to my old shoes and hey hey no more pain and I'm now nearly into week 6.

So I suppose the moral is wear what's comfortable.

Cheers

Bryan