~ Bleeding After Running: Common Causes ~

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
runningproblems

~ Bleeding After Running: Common Causes ~

Post by runningproblems »

What are the common causes for why the back of your feet (like 1 and 1/2 inches above your heel) would bleed after jogging (not running) like a mile or half a mile or something?

I'm guessing this is a common problem, so what would be the most common causes? Had this shoe for a while. Shouldn't be the shoe....

*Shoe: I checked the back (of the inside) of the shoe and it seemed flat. Had this shoe for a while. Shouldn't be the shoe....

*Cold: It was cold outside, but really? I don't think that would cause that

*?????????????????????????????????????/

*Socks??? They're just regular socks. Shouldn't be a problem.

*?????????????????????????????????
starknut

Re: ~ Bleeding After Running: Common Causes ~

Post by starknut »

Once, a combination of sunscreen and road dirt combined to rub the backs of my heels bloody. I didn't even feel it until I stopped running, but I made sure in the future to wear longer socks to keep it from happening again.
runningproblems

the socks are touching the top of the back of the heel though.....
starknut

Post by starknut »

Maybe you got some dirt in there? Maybe there was a little piece of balled up thread inside your sock that was just enough to rub you raw? It happens sometimes. "Constant vigilance!" as Professor Moody would say.
runningproblems

ok so i jogged for half of a mile today. more than half of that was walking. anyway i looked at the top of the back of my heel and it had some redness so i guess that was rubbing. socks aren't short. i made sure the shoe was tied tightly but it seems like it still rubbed i matched the part where the redness was to the height of the shoe but the back of the shoe is flat... so it shouldn't be doing that...
matt

Post by matt »

While I don't advocate spending much money on running before you've figured out if it's your sort of thing, you may at least want to head to a decent running shoe shop and have your shoes checked out. Especially if you're bleeding.

(Most shops will do a free consultation; if you don't want to spend money yet just tell them up front and chances are they'll still be happy to check things out and make recommendations. A good shop won't give you the hard sell.)

A well-equipped shop could video your feet on a treadmill in your current shoes and in a pair that they think might suit your feet better, and show you the difference -- you may find your current shoes are too high-backed, or too loose, or what-have-you. When I did it they used a treadmill with built-in video and split-screen playback so I could watch all the shoes I tried in slow motion, next to each other on the screen. It was pretty cool :)

You might also want to try some real running socks; they're generally made of "technical" fabric which is less rubby than the normal stuff, and some have reinforcement and padding in the right places for runners.

Good luck!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
runningproblems

Likely just the shoe. Likely doesn't fit perfectly. I'm just gonna go look for the best shoe that fits perfectly so I won't have this problem ever again. I'll like to clarify that it was bleeding a little. It was really nothing. I didn't say that I didn't think it wasn't the shoe or sock or whatever. I said it shouldn't be doing that.

I wear the same shoes. I put toilet paper on the back of the top of my heel today. The problem didn't happen again.

This was a pretty basic problem but thanks for helping =)