Week 1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Preston98

Week 1

Post by Preston98 »

I have just completed my 2nd Run of week 1. At first I was really worried about starting as I am very unfit and have just started exercising again. I have struggled to run more than 50 m to 100m at a any one time without getting puffed but having the app to motivate me has made it all a little easier. I think some music may help move me along a bit so I will see how that goes. I look forward to being able to run 5km and then one day maybe 10km or even a half marathon, but for the moment I am happy to follow the 9 week program and being fit again.
Mahnster1

Re: Week 1

Post by Mahnster1 »

You have the right attitude! The great thing about this program is that it has 9 weeks of goals. Many of us found week 5 run 3 daunting as we worked our way through week 1 and 2. Some of us found it daunting the day of. Just worry about each run when it comes. Before you know it, week 9 will be over. I was in your shoes 14 weeks ago. I dabbled with trying to run on my own for 3 weeks before I started, but had no plan and saw no progress. Did this program, learned to make a few goals, and this morning did 10K in 1:11. Never thought I would ever do that when Claire told me 1 minute left in a run segment and I thought it might as well been 1 day. Good Luck and post your progress. Remember, everyone progresses at their own rate. If you do every run on time, great. If you need to repeat on, that is great too...just keep trying!
LaughingGravy

Post by LaughingGravy »

I've just started. Have always had a lot of pain in lower legs and this time seems to be no exception. Am hoping that as muscles, ligaments and tendons become conditioned the pain will stop.

Should be run two tonight, but a little concerned the pain will return and prevent me from performing well at my kendo class tomorrow evening. Have ordered some compression sleeves for my calves/shins that will hopefully keep things under control, even If I only have to use them in the early days. Also been doing some lower leg strengthening exercises and stretches, something I have sadly neglected in the past - this has the knock on effect of being beneficial to my kendo too! :D
Beckyb

Post by Beckyb »

I'm going to be doing week 1 day 3 tomorrow and I've loved every minute of it so far. I have aggravated a groin strain I obtained a couple of weeks ago (thanks to the dog yanking me trying to chase ducks!). I'm hoping it will be ok tomorrow. This is a working progress for me and I've totally got into it. 4 months ago I was 3 stone heavier and didn't do any exercise. I've signed up to do a 17 mile charity walk in December and using the app so that I can do the Race for Life in the summer and actually run it!!!