Laughing Gravy's accountability thread

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
LaughingGravy

Laughing Gravy's accountability thread

Post by LaughingGravy »

I've started this thread to record my progress as I attempt the C25K programme with the Get Running app. Not sure if anyone will read it, but at least I'll be accountable to something, even if it's just the thread itself!

Anyway, as I've previously written on here, I did a sort of pre-start to the week. I want sunday to be the 'end' of my running week, and my two day break to be mon/tues, with tues as a total rest day. As also previously mentioned, I'm fitting my running in around my kendo classes, so monday/thursday are both no go for running.

Sunday was my first day, and hurt my lower legs, both during and after. Last night was supposed to be my 'proper' W1D1, but due to the pain, I though I'd give it a miss and give myself a chance to recover, especially considering that tonight is Kendo, and I don't want to be 'walking wounded' trying to do that - it's hard enough as it is! (Monday night was purgatory, despite it not being a 'full pelt' session).

So, I'll call Sunday W1D1, and my next run on Friday I'll call W1D2. Yes, the week will be a little longer than originally planned, with the extra rest, but hopefully I'll get it done!
LaughingGravy

Re: Laughing Gravy's accountability thread

Post by LaughingGravy »

Okay, so things haven'rt gone quite as smoothly as planned. Not wanting to mess up my Kendo again, I had left it afew extra days before attempting another session. However - my mate was over from Oz, so running Kinda went out the window, and an aversion to pain has kept me from hitting the road again.

All is not lost, though. A thread about shin splints on this forum led me to Google and a search for stretches to alleviate same, and I've found a quick daily exercise routine that sounds promising. The guy who wrote about it swears it cured his completely very quickly, so I'm doing it and my next run should be Friday. I'll keep on with the exercises and hope it cures the problem before too long!
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Please share. I can usually identify the cause (walking too fast with poor form) rest for a few days. Wear a compression sleeve and take alieve for next run.
LaughingGravy

Post by LaughingGravy »

Okay. I'm still here. After the pain affected my Kendo, I'm now now waiting for the Christmas break before I start again.

Not ideal, but I'm hoping that I can get most of the really fierce pain (the post-exercise DOMS part, at least; the 'during running' bit I can live with for a while) out of the way before classes resume in the new year. Most of my motivation for running is tied up with Kendo, and it would be counterproductive to balls up my Kendo to do my running, no?

Upping the miles on the pushbike in the meantime, and also trying to do an increasing number of Hindu squats most mornings - these seem to help my shins and calves; the running around part of the warm up at Kendo has felt a little easier, though that may just be coincidence!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Taking a break is probably the best thing you could do at this point. It will give your body some time to heal. It's great that you're remaining active, because that will definitely help you to come back strong for your first run after resting for a few weeks. I had to do the same thing when I had shin splints so badly, and it really was beneficial in the long run.