New to Running 45+

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
seashell

New to Running 45+

Post by seashell »

Hello, I just started to try jogging the last couple of weeks at the age of 45 :-) I downloaded the app and am going to try to follow along. I am thinking of registering for a 5K run/walk in March in San Diego to keep me motivated.

Any tips for older beginning runners? I'm about 15-20lbs overweight and I can sure feel the movement of all my excess weight as I jog, kind of a new sensation for me, lol! Will that get better? Will things tighten up? My appetite is going nuts, what's the best way to calm this unexpected surge of insane cravings?

Thanks!!
Mahnster1

Re: New to Running 45+

Post by Mahnster1 »

Keep at it. The problem with exercise, appetite etc. is that everyone is different. What works for May or may not work for another. You can look up my story but in short: I started C25K when I was depressed and had no appetite. When I finished, I was down 28lbs. Not so depressed by that point. Lost another 10 lbs in sept/October. Have maintained that since with no diet, but running 3-4 times per week. BTW, I am 49 started at 270lbs. It is awesome to get out and run and know 5K is on my low end of distance. You can do it too. Every work out is a win whether you are moving to the next workout or repeating one to ensure you got it right. Let us know how you are doing.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Thanks for your story, I admire your determination! I'm at 185lbs and would love to maintain something in the low 170's since I'm pretty tall, don't really have a desire to be "thin" just fit :-) I ran a little yesterday and overate last night - ugh. Today I downloaded the Couch to 5K app and was anxious to get started on my day off. I was only able to keep up with two 60 second runs, the rest were cut to 30 seconds since I get heart palpitations, it makes me nervous to push too hard. So, I feel good that I gave it a first try and made it through even with shorter runs. I will take tomorrow off and do light exercise then give it another try when the app says I can ;)
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

If you are feeling some heart palpatations, please consider visiting your doctor for check. I had chest pain about 6 months before I started C25K, and if nothing else, the midical ok calmed my nerves as I worked my way through the program. Good luck and remember, every step, walking or running, is one step closer to your goal. Even if you don't know what your goal is yet.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Thanks, I've had my heart checked several times over my lifetime, so far, it's only anxiety related. Probably just a little panic at the strain as I'm finishing each run. I'm re-running week 1 and can barely make each 60 second running session. I am hoping by the end of my 2nd week of the same run, I can run 60 seconds with a little more ease. Right now it seems that my body just doesn't want to do the "action" of running. Can you tell me at what point you broke through and could run a few minutes without lots of struggle?
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

Honestly, I dabbled with running on my own for a month before trying c25k, so it was one full month of trying. To me that mean just keep doing week one until you accomplish it. Not master, accomplish. Then move to week 2. Same thing. You will be there before you know it
Beckly92

Post by Beckly92 »

It's my second time of trying this app (I gave up a few years ago as I was working 12-18 hour shifts I couldn't fit in running - or that was my excuse!).

I remember first time round I did week one twice because I was really struggling. By the second time through I couldn't believe how much easier it was - I did all the runs and walked a decent pace between. I was preparing to be stuck on week one forever after my disasterous first run (I stopped after run 3) but knew that no matter how many times I ran it, I was at least doing something. Which is more than nothing.

I've only done w1r1 this time around, but will probably run the whole week twice as I feel I need a slightly slower start to introduce running into my life.

Always remember that no matter how much you actually run, you're running more than you would have been while sat on your sofa.