Running on footpaths

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Gawii

Running on footpaths

Post by Gawii »

Hi guys,

As you might have read in my other post I am up to week 3 run 3 now, and after having initial problems with the first run of week 3, I had a great second and third run and I can't wait for the 4th week which starts on Sunday for me.

My question is, does anyone else run on footpaths and has anyone else experienced a bit of aching/pain in their knees afterwards? I was told by a friend of mine that it is something to do with running on a hard surface. I've suffered this a little bit, but it has never been bad enough to prevent me running.

The problem is that aside from an incredibly slippy and muddy school field and an overgrown bit of land near the motorway- there are not many other options for me to take other than the footpath. I'd rather have an aching knee than break my neck!

Any advice guys...?
Nud

Re: Running on footpaths

Post by Nud »

Im in the same boat. I could run on grass part of the time, but it is wet, muddy and slippery at this time of year (early spring in Australia) so I stick to paved paths or bitumen. I've also had some problems with sore knees. I have found good shoes and long stretches help a lot. I hope that as the weight comes off there will be less pressure. Have lost about 4 kilos so far.
Magnolia

Post by Magnolia »

In addition to stretches, you might try ice after every run, even just as a preventive measure. I've had some shin problems in the past and still ice them for a few minutes after each run (after stretching) even when they don't feel like they are going to bother me.

Try to find a gel-filled reusable cold pack that you can strap to your knee with an ACE bandage.
Gawii

Post by Gawii »

Cheers guys. I must have to warm up/down a bit more than I currently do. I spend about a minute or so on stretching before and after right now. I'll try the ice too. I don't think my running shoes have anything to do with it (though I'm not ruling it out.)

I just don't want to get a long term problem.