45 Year Old - First Run

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
ColinD69

45 Year Old - First Run

Post by ColinD69 »

Well, today was the first day of the new me! I bought shiny new running shoes and got down the park and did the first run of week one. You know what? It really wasn't so bad!! Sure, I was out of breath by the end of the final run BUT at no point did I think I was gonna die!! All in all it was a positive start and I am excited for my next run on Monday. Any other beginners in the UK? Would be good to keep in touch and share experiences. Cheers and Cool Runnings to us all! 8-)
ColinD69

Re: 45 Year Old - First Run

Post by ColinD69 »

Second run completed today...in the rain...not so much fun being soggy!! Still, on a positive note, I did manage to improve my overall distance by about a quarter of a mile. I feel my legs may possibly fall off by tomorrow morning!!! I hope everyone else is doing well! :)
ColinD69

Post by ColinD69 »

After having to miss my last run of week one due to a meeting in London, I completed it today! Incorporated cadence running as an experiment and found it SO much easier!! Far less out of breath after the 8th run and actually cut almost 2 minutes off the timed 2 miles that I cover as part of the run. All in all it has been a good first week and I am looking forward to getting into week two. Cool Runnings 8-)
Nan

Post by Nan »

Hello there! Just wanted to say hi. I have just finished W1, R1. It is chilly but beautiful night, so there were quite a lot of people running in the park. Everybody seemed to be doing much better than me, but I'm sure things will look up. As advised, I'll take a break tomorrow. When will running begin to feel good, I wonder. Oh well. Let's keep at it! Good runnings to you!
Nej

Post by Nej »

Just joined this forum....so not sure if im doing this right!! I have just completed w3r3 and im feeling very positive. Ive decided though that I will repeat w3 as I dont feel ready to progress to w4 yet. Ive been using a treadmill at my local gym as I like to have a swim after my run.
Anyway enjoy your runs and good luck. Speak soon
ColinD69

Post by ColinD69 »

Nej wrote:Just joined this forum....so not sure if im doing this right!! I have just completed w3r3 and im feeling very positive. Ive decided though that I will repeat w3 as I dont feel ready to progress to w4 yet. Ive been using a treadmill at my local gym as I like to have a swim after my run.
Anyway enjoy your runs and good luck. Speak soon
Hello there, I think we all have times that we feel it's time to move onto the next weeks runs, but I have found that it's best to not focus on what's coming up next but instead focus on what you have achieved so far! I have had times where I have not got out to run for one reason or another, but just kept plugging away as the next run came along. I am now up to run for 25 minutes at a good 10m/mile pace!! If I can do it then really ANYONE can!! :) Good luck and cool Runnings to you!!
Jonf

Post by Jonf »

Hi, how is the running going?
Qalmon

Post by Qalmon »

44 years old and finished week1 first run! Just joined the forum live South Manchester U.K. So unfit and so up for this am just using any means to keep focus on following this through and seeing to the end best of luck to all!!
ColinD69

Post by ColinD69 »

Qalmon wrote:44 years old and finished week1 first run! Just joined the forum live South Manchester U.K. So unfit and so up for this am just using any means to keep focus on following this through and seeing to the end best of luck to all!!
Hiya! The main thing is, you have started!! Believe me, your fitness will get better as long as you keep motivated and give it your all :) I have just finished and can now run 5k without stopping!! When I started I never thought I would actually enjoy running, as I never did when I was younger, but after week 3 I LOVED it!! Take it easy and look forward to each run as a new wee challenge!! :) Good luck to you and keep on touch!!
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Same here. Started back running after a long 10+ year break. I'm 45 as well and it's a lot tougher to do these runs now that I'm older. Good to know I'm not the only old timer here. :)