Really struggling on week 5 run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Frigadella

Really struggling on week 5 run 3

Post by Frigadella »

I'm really struggling on week 5 run 3.
For some reason I'm struggling before 5 minutes has even passed. Had an epic crying fit after failing another attempt at it.
Just after some supportive advice!
matt

Re: Really struggling on week 5 run 3

Post by matt »

The best thing to do if you're struggling is to drop back a little and repeat some of the earlier runs, the ones you've already done and know you can do, for a bit more practice. It's easier to build more stamina without losing heart that way. Perhaps head back to the beginning of Week 4? Repeating weeks of the plan is perfectly normal and lots of people do it.

There can be all sort of reasons for not quite getting through a run, and it's all very personal. Dropping back a little and re-running earlier runs gives you time to build up a little more muscle, a little more aerobic capacity and a little more confidence. Plus you have a bit more time for things like your breathing rhythm to fall into place.

So, that's what I'd do: give yourself a break, congratulate yourself for getting this far, and get a bit more practice before you try week 5 run 3 again. I'm guessing you'll surprise yourself next time around :)
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Boomer101

Post by Boomer101 »

Frigadella wrote:I'm really struggling on week 5 run 3.
For some reason I'm struggling before 5 minutes has even passed. Had an epic crying fit after failing another attempt at it.
Just after some supportive advice!
Hi Frigadella, I'm at the exact point you are. Just completed the two 8 min runs and my next is the 20 min run, week 5 run 3. I was okay with that but I see it as a big leap to 20 mins non stop, God help me! My thinking is there must be a reason for it so I'll give it a go and might even surprise myself..or not. Will let you know ;). Don't give up, don't know about you but when I started I could barely run 30 secs...it's all good progress .
Alabamatrotter

Post by Alabamatrotter »

How did you fare? I ran it super slowly, and really focused on the breathing part. It is pretty hard, and it took me 2 tries, but you can do it.
Boomer101

Post by Boomer101 »

Alabamatrotter wrote:How did you fare? I ran it super slowly, and really focused on the breathing part. It is pretty hard, and it took me 2 tries, but you can do it.

I did it! And it wasn't as bad as I thought. First 10 mins bit of a grind but then I felt my body ease into it a bit and I told myself there was no way I wasn't going to do it after that!
I realised running is as much a mental thing as well as physical and it's incredible how you can surprise yourself ;).
I'm about 4 stone overweight ( 2 babies in a year pfff!) but can still do this which has amazed me beyond belief.

Alabamatrotter, how did you find it the second time?
Alabamatrotter

Post by Alabamatrotter »

Not a piece of cake, but I did it. There's no shame in trying a run twice. Week 6 looks tough, but we'll manage!