Neck pain due to incorrect breathing?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Tinydancer83

Neck pain due to incorrect breathing?

Post by Tinydancer83 »

Hi! I'm very new- just completed my first run yesterday. :)

From about 15 mins in I was feeling a pain in my neck, in the soft area behind my collar bone, only on one side. It seemed to be linked to my breathing. I was trying to keep my head up, shoulders relaxed- I don't think I was tensing my neck at all.. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for inputs!
ColinD69

Re: Neck pain due to incorrect breathing?

Post by ColinD69 »

Hiya TinyD,

So yes, incorrect breathing technique can cause neck and upper back muscles to tense. Always try and breathe in through your nose and out with your mouth. Try and do this in time with your steps (in 2 3 out 2 3 etc). Also, make sure you don't clench your teeth when things get tough. This can also tense up the neck muscles. Hope this helps!!
Tinydancer83

Post by Tinydancer83 »

Thanks ColinD! :) I can feel it improving with every run but I'll definitely try the breathing technique too.
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

I had some neck pain as well as headaches. Turned out my shoulders were too tense while running and I wasn't keeping my head up. Loosened up my shoulders and kept my head up and it went away.