Best tunes to run to..

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Gawii

Best tunes to run to..

Post by Gawii »

I'm afraid that I'm a pauper and so I only have a second hand 2G iphone that i paid £90 for on e-bay earlier this year- so I don't have any apps like Nike GPS to change my music according to my pace. That said I do like my tunes, so I was wondering what playlist you kick in before going on a run?

I quite like the soundtrack to Rocky 4 for inspiration- cheesy rock tunes like 'Hearts on Fire' and also 'You're the best' from Karate Kid. I think anything with a good beat works well- so what tunes get you motivated on your iphone...?
Magnolia

Re: Best tunes to run to..

Post by Magnolia »

I have wondered this too...what others are listening to. One thing you can do is google "work out songs" or "running songs." Some websites have the beats per minute (BPM) listed, so you can choose things that will pretty much go along with your feet as you run.

Here are some songs from my current "Running" playlist (Nobody make fun of me!!!)

The Kill (Bury Me) by 30 Seconds to Mars
Like a Wheel by Ryan Horne (my FAVORITE independent artist. If you don't know who he is, you should.)
Raise Your Glass (by Pink)
Lit Up by Buckcherry (umm...yes it's about drugs, and no I don't do them. But it's a super fast rock song)
I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty
Cold Hard Bitch by Jet (sorry for the b-word, but again, it's super fast)
Supermassive Black Hole from the Twilight soundtrack (yes, I am embarrassed that I like Twilight)
Rude Boy by Rihanna
Radio by Ryan Horne
Like It's Her Birthday by Good Charlotte
Ask by the Smiths
Ring the Alarm by Beyonce
My Little Demon by Fleetwood Mac
Stronger by Kanye West (I can't stand him, but I like this song to run to)

I delete and add to my running playlist as I get tired of things or if I want to hear something in particular. I hope someone else replies. I would love to know what other people listen to.
Nud

Post by Nud »

Thanks for that list! I tend to listen to audiobooks, but it isn't very motivating sometimes
Scottishburd

Post by Scottishburd »

I have to admit that Lady Gaga really gets me revved up!!!!
anglichanka

Post by anglichanka »

www.indiesouprunner.com does great running podcasts, for free.
Gawii

Post by Gawii »

I use my 'on the go' playlist and add and delete as I feel. I'm more into my metal/rock music if truth be told, but I quite like 'Stronger' by Kanye West to run to- even though I think Kanye West is a real tool.

I once had 'Bat Out Of Hell' on my running list (must have added by accident) the full ten minute long version- Jesus that run felt like it was going FOREVER!
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

My running list at the moment, I just repeat them, probably change it soon :)
Hysteria- Muse
Waka waka- Shakira
I'm not okay- my chemical romance
Written in the stars- tinie tempah
Time is running out-Muse
Dog days are over- florence and the machine
By the way- red hotly chili peppers 
Gawii

Post by Gawii »

I think changing your playlist is pretty important, as listening to the same old stuff again and again can have the opposite effect in that it is offputting. Nice playlist though Lisa.
jilliana

Post by jilliana »

I have a really long playlist so that I don't get bored, and even then I occasionally switch it up to podcasts and audiobooks just to keep it interesting.

For cheesy motivational songs I like:

Queen-- We Are the Champions and Another One Bites the Dust
Pat Benetar-- Invincible
Rocky- Eye of the Tiger

I don't worry too much about finding songs with the right BPM. I just make sure to add songs that I really love hearing or that make me feel happy. I'm more likely to keep running if I'm hearing a song that I really like.
Phnormal

Post by Phnormal »

I have just got clubland 18 that's quite good for pacing yourself while running! Like faster tunes!