Transition from treadmill to road

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lynmull

Transition from treadmill to road

Post by Lynmull »

Hi
I have recently started the c25k app and having not run since I was at school and I'm now 53 it's quite a challenge! I'm working steadily through the weeks and am now at week 5. I've been reading on forums that people can get disappointed when they transfer to roads after the gym. I'm keen to keep motivated and am considering doing my run 3 this week around my local streets. Can anyone give me some advice on how best to tackle this, thank you.
tracylacey73

Re: Transition from treadmill to road

Post by tracylacey73 »

Hi Lynmull! How did your transition go? I tried the program years ago mostly on the treadmill, and when I finally ran outside, it was much more difficult (though a LOT less boring!). When I saw that you wanted to try W5R3 outside, I really hoped you'd be successful. That seems like a tough run for the transition! So if you were able to do it, fantastic! And if not, don't be discouraged - just work up to it! :)

Best of luck,
Tracy
Ebony24

Post by Ebony24 »

I too tried to go from treadmill to street and it was really hard. I could not finish at all, was in pain right away :cry: :cry: don't think I will ever opt for street again.
Runner218

Post by Runner218 »

Add around 1.5% incline to your treadmill indoor runs to help aid in transition to outdoor runs. You will see fighting against wind, uneven terrains seems a lot easier if consistently running with incline added on your treadmill. Even 0.5% or 1.0% incline helps. It's better then just picking up your feet and setting it back down on flat even surface. If you fail in the transition to outdoors in this app. Go back the previous week on treadmill and re run it with incline added this time. You will feel the difference.