Week 5 run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Iain

Re: Week 5 run 3

Post by Iain »

I too was a little hesitant with the 3rd run of week 5. Just finished it and I have to thank all who made posts for the positive vibe.

Cheers
Iain
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

I can't believe I passed the Week 5 Run 3 landmark last night! I actually did Run 2 and walked for about another mile before deciding to attempt to do the next run. (I sometimes do 2 day's worth of runs in one go. I'll finish a run, then walk for a mile or two before doing the next scheduled run. I guess it probably isn't recommended to do 2 runs on the same day, but it works for me, as my muscles are loosened up after I finish a run and then walk for a while.) Anyway, as I started the 20 minute run, I said a prayer for endurance and off I went! I was careful to pace myself so that I wouldn't overdo it and just enjoyed listening to my music and watching the beautiful autumn scenery around me. As each song finished, I encouraged myself that I was another 3 or 4 minutes closer to the end of the run. Up until then, the longest I had run without a break was 8 minutes, and what struck me the most was the fact that I wasn't feeling out of breath and that my legs weren't feeling very tired, even up to the end of the run! I was actually amazed at how I was managing, as even up till recently, my legs would get tired towards the end of the shorter runs. As I passed the halfway mark, I remember thinking, "I can do this! It's manageable. I'm going to do it!" I was running with my husband, who has been a runner for a number of years and has been a great encouragement to me in this new journey. As I completed the run, I was so overwhelmed that I had achieved such a feat that I started squeaking/screaming, jumping up and down, and then I hugged my husband and...cried! I just couldn't believe it! Me, a 53 year old grandmother who couldn't even run for a minute without practically passing out at the beginning of this month! The 'Get Running' app really works!! :D
Todd H

Post by Todd H »

Good job! I agree about this app. Can't believe I have two more weeks left. Thanks to the creators of this app for helping me rediscover my love of running.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Well done everyone, and thank you for sharing. It's fantastic hearing how well you're doing!
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

Todd H wrote:Good job! I agree about this app. Can't believe I have two more weeks left. Thanks to the creators of this app for helping me rediscover my love of running.
Thanks, Todd H! I can't believe it, either. It seemed like a far-off dream at the beginning of the month. Wishing you, and everyone else doing Get Running, every success. Here's to our good health and fitness!

Oh, my hubby took this photo after I completed the W5 R3 run! I was elated and somewhat in shock that I was able to do it! (Sorry about the quality of the pic. It was taken on my phone and it was starting to get dark!)

Last edited by Truebrit on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Truebrit

Post by Truebrit »

benjohn wrote::-) Well done everyone, and thank you for sharing. It's fantastic hearing how well you're doing!
I cannot thank you enough, benjohn! Get Running exceeds all of my hopes and expectations. It's brilliant, and I have already recommended it to others!