Week 4... Feeling disheartened

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Rascalini

Week 4... Feeling disheartened

Post by Rascalini »

So I just finished run 3 of week 4! I found run 1 ok, tough, especially the last five mins but got through it! The second run I could feel myself struggling at the first 3 min run, and couldn't do the five's! It wasn't so much my legs were the problem as my chest and lower lungs (if that makes sense). Then today I finished the third run and again found it tough but completed it... I thought it went better than the first week 4 run BUT I ran a shorter distance in more time and my pace wasn't as good as the first time!

I know I shouldn't let this get me down but I'm a scientist so the facts and figures speak to me 

I guess I just thought I'd see an improvement! Should I do another run of w4 or move on to the next week??

Rascalini
violabird

Re: Week 4... Feeling disheartened

Post by violabird »

From my experience, I would say that at this stage put any thoughts of distance and pace right out of your head. It's hard enough to keep going, and if you try to keep your pace up to a high level as your run times increase, then you run the risk of not being able to keep it up and then feeling disheartened if you have to stop. I found myself getting slower and slower as the weeks progressed, but now I've completed the program and have learned how to pace myself during 30 min+ runs I am working on gradually increasing my pace. It just doesn't seem worth giving yourself a hard time when you are doing a brilliant job just to keep getting out there. Distance and pace can come later! Good luck!
Gawii

Post by Gawii »

I'm on W4R3 tomorrow, and from what I've experienced and read so far, you sometimes take a step backwards before you can move on. I think W3R1 was the 'step back' for me so far, and with hindsight I think I really struggled because I didn't pace myself right and there were too many distractions (people stopping me for a chat, the dog wanting the loo, someone taking an age to turn into a road I was about to cross.)

Since then I have not had any problems- but when I do i'll just be happy that I've got the willpower to get out there again and carry on where I left off.
Rascalini

Post by Rascalini »

Thanks the support guys! I will keep going with it so and just try and out the facts and figures behind me! Sometimes being competitor with yourself is a really bad thing 

And gawii I totally get what your saying about the distractions!! Can really out you off!
Magnolia

Post by Magnolia »

Definitely keep going. I worried for a couple weeks at the beginning, "I hope no one in my neighborhood sees me because I am SO slow..." But then I realized, "Hey, I am the one out running. They are sitting around." That helped over come my feelings of being self-conscious.

I don't even keep track of my pace. I am doing Week 6, Run 3 tomorrow. I have found that as the runs get longer (and this may sound dumb), I have an easier time if I try to completely zone out. I just pick a point straight in front of me to look at and run to it and try to not think about how much time I have left or how fast I am going.

I think when the program is over I may try an app that DOES track distance and pace because I would eventually like to get faster. But right now I am just worried about finishing. :D
Rascalini

Post by Rascalini »

Thanks for the support guys  the weather here has been terrible, I hadn't any proper rain and cold weather gear so missed out on running for about a week  today i got an under armour top to kreo me warm and went for my week five run one, and I'm so glad to be back to it. It went really well and I'm delighted with myself! Thin k I may need to invest in a pair of gloves - my hands were freezing. Any suggestions on what would be good?

Thanks again guys
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

In the snow here last winter (London, a few degrees C under zero), I went out running in my snow boarding mittens. They were very hot, so you might not want to do that :-) I expect you can get something fabulously technical from a running shop, but perhaps just try regular gloves and see if they work. If they don't, you'll know what you want to be different.
Rascalini

Post by Rascalini »

Ha ha benjohn, I'd say the snow boarding mittens kept you well warm its mainly at the start of the run my hands freeze up!! Have a nice pair of merino wool ones my Sis sent over from NZ- in sure they'd keep me warm 
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Sounds good. You can always take them off once you're warm and stuff them in a pocket.
Rascalini

Post by Rascalini »

Went out again this evenin forgot my gloves and holy god my hands felt the cold!!!

But on the upside I did two 8 minute runs so I'm fricking thrilled with myself 