Just completed week 2 but...

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lottietucker

Just completed week 2 but...

Post by Lottietucker »

Hi all, I completed week 2 today and have been extending the final run to 3 mins for the last 2 runs. So happy about that!! However, I'm finding I'm jogging VERY slowly! My partner who is ex-RAF and an ex marathon runner (tho not for quite a few years) runs with me and it's pitiful watching him try to keep down to my pace almost seeming to run on the spot at times to keep w me! I'm run-walking (in line w the app) at an overall pace of about a 17min mile (which I guess would be faster if it only measured when I run). Is this ok? Should I be going faster?

Also, whilst running I get very achy shin muscles and sometimes calf muscles too. Ive read about shin splints but don't know if that's what I've got or not. Whilst not a runner (yet!! Lol) I have done heaps of spinning and other cardio exercise including long hilly hikes (like 6hrs+) over the last few months and i can spin out of the saddle for long periods of time (10 mins +) with no problems to my legs. It's only when I run (well, jog in my case). Does anyone have any advice?

On to Week 3 on Monday....
matt

Re: Just completed week 2 but...

Post by matt »

Don't worry about speed at the moment. (I'm guessing your partner understands and is less worried about it than you are?) The C25K is about building the stamina you need to run continuously, not about speed; the speed can come later. Can you send your partner off to sprint ahead and then come back to you occasionally? It'll keep him occupied and you'll worry less about keeping up :D

As for the achey shins and calves, often the right pair of shoes will help. Running is more impact-y than spin by its nature, so perhaps have your gait analysed by your local running shop—this is usually a free, no-obligation service—and see what they say. You may find the feeling of running transformed by a pair of shoes with cushioning and support in the right place for your feet and legs.

Sometimes it just takes a few weeks to relax into running and find your "form", which will also help.

Also, maybe try a good stretch after? Are you using the iOS version of Get Running? I found that doing the exercises in the "Stretch Guru: Run" app after jogging helped with my achey calves, at least.

Good luck!

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)