Any other newbies?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Kmax15

Any other newbies?

Post by Kmax15 »

Hi everyone,

Tonight I will be starting week 2 of the app and I wondered if anyone else is at the same stage?

It would be nice to share stories.

Iv'e enjoyed week 1 and am feeling very motivated and proud of myself. I can't wait for the longer runs but know I have to take things slow or I might not make it!

Anyone out there want to be virtual running buddies? :)
clownspocket

Re: Any other newbies?

Post by clownspocket »

Hi,

I think I'm about a week ahead of you and I can't quite believe the progress.
I've just done week 5 run 3 (run 20 mins without stopping) and managed it OK. I can't believe 4 weeks ago I was panting and puffing so much on week 1 after only a minute of running. I've never been a runner, whenever I'd tried it in the past I would always just set off on a run and try and go as far as possible without stopping and would invariably get tired quickly and demotivated. However, this programme is so well structured in how it builds you up slowly but still challenges you. I'm buzzing now and I'm thinking of signing up for the Edinburgh great north winter run on 10th January 2015.

good luck Kmax15 hope you're still doing it and are progressing well :D
Kmax15

Post by Kmax15 »

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you've been doing great. I was poorly before Christmas and only managed a couple of runs during Christmas period. I will be starting week 5 this week. I'm hoping to get back on track now and looking forward to the 20 min run. I have a friend who does our local park run and that is my goal at the moment. I'm hoping I might be good enough to join her the first week of Feb.

Happy New Year and good luck. Keep me updated on your progress. I bet you are way ahead of me now! ;)
clownspocket

Post by clownspocket »

Happy new year.

I've got the last run of week 8 to do tonight but got to admit that I've struggled to get out. I've made week 8 last about 10 days or so as I ran on Xmas day then new years eve so will probably find tonight tough. Week 5 is a big jump but it gives you a real buzz and sense of achievement when you do it................. it was after that when I actually started to feel like a runner and that completing the program was possible.
Have thought about entering different events but will hold off until I can regularly do the 5K distance and then who knows.

good luck
Kmax15

Post by Kmax15 »

Well done for running on Xmas Day & New Years Eve!

You've nearly completed the program then. Thats fantastic!
Tonight I did run 2 of week 5,and yes I am definitely feeling more like a runner. Its amazing how quickly you can progress if you keep it up. I felt great when I got home and proud of myself.

I'll do the 20 min run on Saturday :)
clownspocket

Post by clownspocket »

It's amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it and have the right training program.
I'm well chuffed, just finding it difficult to get out and finish week 9 coz of the weather had gale force winds up here in the north east since yesterday and forecast until monday................boooooooooooooo ;)
Kmax15

Post by Kmax15 »

I'm in the south east and it's a windy here too but I think you have it worse.

Also I saw that snow is forecast :?
Kmax15

Post by Kmax15 »

I DID IT!!!!!!

I ran for 20 minutes!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Very proud :D
clownspocket

Post by clownspocket »

Nice one, well done :D

It's supposed to be my last run of the program today eeek but its blowing a gale so will wait to see if the forecast is right as wind is predicted to drop around 7pm so will hopefully get out and do my graduation run.
clownspocket

Post by clownspocket »

I did it, I graduated last night and felt like I could have done the 30 min run again :D

It's weird, no two runs are the same. I really struggled with the penultimate run of week 9 but last night I felt great. I changed from listening to music to listening to podcasts so maybe I'm switching off more listening to the chatter. Great App with a well structured program. Not sure what to do now?