Just started! Need Buddies!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SageyScot

Just started! Need Buddies!

Post by SageyScot »

I just found and downloaded this app. Completed my first run today and loved it! I am just started running and am hoping for some motivating friends to keep me honest and excited. I live in US, but it seems that this app and most users are in UK? I would love to have over seas virtual running groupies. Is anyone else newly started? Or even an established runner that is encouraging would be great? Can't wait!
Neverfinish

Re: Just started! Need Buddies!

Post by Neverfinish »

Hi,
I just started week 2 today! I live in the US also and need someone to keep me motivated. I've tried this program before and I've never gotten past the beginning of week 5. (I hurt my knee and had to take 6 months off and then I let life get in the way) I'm determined to finish this time!
clownspocket

Post by clownspocket »

Hi,

I'm in Newcastle in the UK.

I finished week 9 last week and it was tough but I did it and I've never been a runner, like, never ever!
I think the key to why the this kind of training works is in its structure, as it sets increasingly difficult goals, albeit slowly and you really surprise yourself and gain a sense of achievement all the way through. The thing that amazed me so much in starting running was that no two runs are the same.......... some feel like really hard work and you just make it, whilst some you feel like you could do it again........its weird. I've been looking at factors why that might be.... like my last run of week 9, I felt great after it and I put it down to having a glass of milk 30 mins before leaving the house, but tried it again next time and that run was really tough!

Just stick with it guys and you'll do it no problem :D
Neverfinish

Post by Neverfinish »

Just finished week 2 day 2. Had to wait a day to run due to a migraine, but got back on track today.
ajb224

Post by ajb224 »

Hey there, I'm in week 1. 2 runs down. I ran a 5 mile race years ago and am doing it again Memorial Day. I used to run but have stopped over the past year or two and can barely run a mile right now. Im pretty sure I'm overweight, 212 lbs at 6'2" and I smoke cigarettes. I like to think I eat healthy or at least try to. The first two runs in week 1 were surpringsly easy for me. I wanted to run when it told me to walk and I wanted to keep running when the time ended but I'm going to follow the plan this app has laid out. I'd enjoy reading other people's journey in this thread as it will be motivation for me. I'll be finishing week 1 over the weekend and maybe try to add on few more minutes. Ultimately my goal is to be able to run 5 miles in under 45 minutes by May 24th. When I ran the race in 2011 my chip time was 46:11 so I have to beat that. So far I'm enjoying the app and love the motivation and how it works with music.
Neverfinish

Post by Neverfinish »

I made it through week 2 and started week 3. Fell on the ice and then received 41 inches of snow. With the pain and all the shoveling I've taken a week off. (guess I'm a wimp!) I'm hoping to start up again tonight or tomorrow. Another 12-18 inches of snow predicted. Luckily I use a treadmill because with all the snow and temperatures hovering around 0 F, I'd be a frozen snow person!!
ajb224

Post by ajb224 »

Where do you live? I imagine Boston or somewhere in New England. I'm in week 2. I ran for the first time ever in the dark today. It was cold and I almost didn't go but I forced myself. It was easier then I thought. I'm looking forward to these longer runs right now, though I think I'll be regretting that.
Keep it up everyone!!!
ajb224

Post by ajb224 »

Yikes!! So I went skiing Thursday and Friday last week and didn't run for 4 days. I forced myself out in the cold and snow to run because if I didn't I most likely wouldn't go tomorrow and that would make it 6 days!! Today was difficult, I completed the run but man did my legs hurt. I think it might of been the tight biking pants I had underneath my polartec pants or the extra pair of thick socks I had on or a combination of that and the small break I had but I am happy I got that over with. 1 more run and I'm on week 3!!!