The Psychological Barrier

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jjvalentine

The Psychological Barrier

Post by jjvalentine »

Hi all. I'm on dreaded week 5, I actually did week 4 twice. The psychological barrier is just awful. Any suggestions on how to break through it. Some days before I even start I am working out when I'm going to have a break etc. before I've even started! I did the 20 minute today and I swear I had to break every 1-2 minutes, just pitiful, when I know I could run 5 mins no problem week before... the mind is very powerful isn't it. I want to get over this hurdle. I am stopping, not because I am puffed out or sore, its purely a mind thing. I've just started having music on my iphone to help, but I am waiting on earplugs... any other suggestions? :shock:
clownspocket

Re: The Psychological Barrier

Post by clownspocket »

I used to run with music but got a bit bored of it so thought I'd try listening to podcasts and I enjoyed that more as I'd switch off. Plus, as a lover of heavy metal the fast aggressive music was making run at too fast a pace!

Try to find some podcasts that might interest you, I like:

The Bugle - a really funny satirical news podcast which is a bit like have I got news for you (UK people will know that).
Guardian Football podcast - If you like football (soccer)
The infinite Monkey Cage - A science series with Professor Brian cox
BBC Friday night comedy - again a funny.

Good luck, you'll get there
jjvalentine

Post by jjvalentine »

Thank you, yes I tend to switch off and get bored when listening to music. Perhaps I'll find a comedy channel or podcast that I have to listen to...
Christianh

Post by Christianh »

I've just done W5R3. It was hard but I also knew when I started that I was going to finish it because (as I kept telling myself) it wouldn't feature at this stage of the programme if it wasn't feasible.

So I think it's just a case of knowing you are following a tried and tested path and that you can do it. I'm proof of that.

Good luck and keep us posted..