Post warm-up stretch

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
KJE76

Post warm-up stretch

Post by KJE76 »

Hey,
There is no pause for a stretch after the warm-up on the app. Does this mean that it 's not necessary? I always thought a pre-run stretch was as important as the post run? Do people pause or stretch before warm-up?
Thanks!
benjohn

Re: Post warm-up stretch

Post by benjohn »

I stretched after warming up for some of my runs, and not for others, and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. The few times that I forgot to stretch after running, I really did notice the next day, or even two days after. This makes me think that stretching before is probably less important, but I'm not an expert.

I'd say, stretch after warm up if you think it helps you, and also, do some research with Google and see what other people are saying.

If you do want to stretch, you can easily pause Get Running with the media controls that show at the bottom of the screen during your run.

Thanks!
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hello One and all :)

I have a stretch question for you.....I finish my run about 30 mins away from my house so I still have a walk home. Do you think it is better to do a stretch when I get home or after the five min cool down?

Thanks

Dawn
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

If you keep up a pretty fast walk, then I would say when you get home. Mind you – I've found that after a longer run I feel like I'm seizing up pretty quickly if I don't start stretching soon after. I'm not sure what would happen after a longer cool down. Have you tried it both ways? Does it feel like you're getting stiff during the walk?