Barefoot running anyone?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jessicaboykin

Barefoot running anyone?

Post by jessicaboykin »

I think I have found my thing. I'm not real big on shoes in the first place, and I especially hate running shoes. I came across some guys talking about barefoot running on reddit.com so I did a little research and decided to try it. I bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers shoes, and I am in love! It's like running barefooted in sand without the sinking. The shoes protect your feet but have minimal bulk. And they keep your toes seperated instead of all smushed together. My legs felt 100% better post-run today; I can't wait to see how they work out long term.

You can see a pic in my last tweet http://twitter.com/jessicaboykin They are definitely funky looking, but I think they're cool!
benjohn

Re: Barefoot running anyone?

Post by benjohn »

They look cool :-)

So it sounds like you didn't get any problems running with them? I've seen a few people complain about calf pain after using them, but they seem to be established runners who've gone form running in running shoes to running in five fingers. They've done a "short run" to start out, but their short run is still a huge run for a body that's never run like that before!

I think I'd probably start out by just following Get Running from the start again to make sure I'm really taking it easy.

Do you find that you land on your toes? I experimented in socks indoors and found I landed on my toes :-) From what I gather, it really is a very different way of running; it uses the muscles, joints and tendons in a very different way.

Thanks very much for posting.
jessicaboykin

Re: Barefoot running anyone?

Post by jessicaboykin »

Actually, I did notice that my calf muscles had a bit more soreness, but my knees had way less pain than usual. I don't really land on my toes so much as my mid-foot.

Going for my run in a bit. Everyone is back on campus from spring break, so I'm hoping I don't get too many stares on the trail. :D