Just finishing week 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
juliealix1

Re: Just finishing week 2

Post by juliealix1 »

i've just finished run three of week 2.. bit scared about week 3 starting as i found today really tough. didnt sleep well last night so i'm hoping thats the reason.

fingers crossed.

jules
framingblackcab

Post by framingblackcab »

Hi Tim Nick and all I am still going but haven't been on line for a while.
Good to know that we are still all on track and the weather seems to be getting better by the day over here, i hope it is where ever you are.
Well today I plucked up the nerve to go into a proper running shop, I was feeling very amateurish and self aware but couldn't have got a nicer guy to help. After many runs on the treadmill while being videoed, numerous pairs of trainers and a few jogs around the car park I am now the proud owner of some proper running shoes. I am hoping that it will sort out my aching knees and and occasional hip pain, I managed two 8 min runs so just have the 20 min hurdle to get over. Now I have the trainers I couldn't possibly give up :lol:
hope you all have a good week and that your dog is still managing to keep up with you Nick.
Stick with it Jules, I struggled with week one and can't believe I have got this far, it does get easier and hard days are just part of it, put it behind you and keep going.
take care
Michelle
Redro

Post by Redro »

Hi Michelle, good to have you back on line again - congrats on the new shoes! We are getting much warmer here in France - although I had to run in the rain this evening. 25 minutes. Wohoo! Have not run that long for a loooooong time. Maisie the lab is bearing up as well - in fact her waist line is returning! So, now 2 days off - hopefully long enough for my knees to recover. Have a good week! Are you still running with your daughter? I suppose I should let mine join me too - but I enjoy just trotting along on my own listening to my iPod.
Regards - and Happy Valentine's Day everybody - if you weren't spoilt - I hope you did the spoiling!
Nick
Cailinrua77

Post by Cailinrua77 »

Well done to all of you! I've just started week 2 today and I'm so happy, it's been great. I'm delighted with myself, I'm less stressed and more alert (it being half term helps too!) Just wanted to check in and say hi. :)
tl302

Post by tl302 »

Friday I finished week 7 run 3. Had a good run and am looking forward to week 8. I went out an bought a new pair of running shoes. They are Nike with the Nike + option. I am anxious to see how the Nike + option works on my run tomorrow. Will let you know. I was at a Nike outlet and they had the shoes miss marked. Ended up paying $29.99 for a $60.00 pair of shoes. I also downloaded some new music to listen to, so I will let you know on that as well.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Tim
tl302

Post by tl302 »

Well finished week 8 run 3. The first 2 runs this week were pretty rough, but my run today was a lot better. I feel more confident about the 30 min runs next week. Todays run was a total of 3.2 miles including my 2 walks. i am pretty happy with that. The new shoes have worked out well. They are very comfortable. The Nike+ option is very cool and works pretty good. I have discovered that my tread mill doesn't reflect my mileage run very well. Seems to be off by about 1/2 a mile. The new music I am listening to is pretty cool. It is a podcast on Itunes called Podrunner and its free to download. Keeps a very good beat and easy to listen to while running. There are many different podcasts of different lengths. Well thats it for this week. Looking forward to the runs in week 9.

Have a great weekend.

Tim
framingblackcab

Post by framingblackcab »

Morning Redro, Tim and all
well yesterday was my first 25 min run, I found it really hard and didn't quite make it walked for 1.5 mins in the last 10 mins. My stride was getting very short by the end of it and I am convinced that sometimes I walk faster than I run :cry: My daughter is still with me but doesn't always mange to run it all, I don't think she has the mental attitude to push through and doesn't pace herself. She looks alot better in running gear than me though.

I will see what the rest of the week brings. The good news is that my knees and hip are now pain free which I assume is down to my new trainers.

What is amazing is that my partner and other daughter started the programe this week after seeing that if I can do it anyone really can. I am so pleased and proud of them both

I hope you are all getting on ok and look forward to an update soon.
take care
Michelle
Redro

Post by Redro »

Well done Michelle, that's very good! We are at our house in the Beaujolais for the mid term break. Went for a run this morning - chilly, snow on the hills. This was week 8, run 1. Ended up going for 30 minutes. Then we met up with friends and assorted dogs and had a 5 k walk in the forest. So, nearly 10 ks today - knee is feeling a bit sore tonight. Anyway, the fire is roaring and the glass of red is not bad at all, so life's good! Better still, our girls are not squabbling, which makes a change! Thanks for the podtunes tip Tim, might try that - am getting bored of my music.
Have a good week!
Nick
tl302

Post by tl302 »

Well here is an update for all my fellow runners. I just signed up for my first 5K run on March 12. I have to admit I am very excited and a little scared at the thought of doing this. I remind my self this is what I have been striving to do for the last 8 weeks. My last run was a total of 3.2 miles so I have already covered the 5K. This should not be to big of a deal. Will keep you all updated. Nick, I created a play list using the podcast. Seems to work pretty good that way.

Have a great week.

Tim
Redro

Post by Redro »

We look forward to hearing how you go with the 5k Tim - good luck with it! My achiles tendon is pretty sore today after all the exercise yesterday - so not too sure if I will be able to do the 28 min run tomorrow. All those old running injuries coming back to the surface again - will have to just keep going slowly - might have to backtrack and repeat a week or two.