Barefoot Running

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
wrxmania

Re: Barefoot Running

Post by wrxmania »

Great ad for Vibram here:

http://www.youarethetechnology.com/

Brian.
pinkandpink

Post by pinkandpink »

Got my beautiful Vibram Bikilas! I used to get horrible shin splints after running but I am LOVING the Vibrams! No shin splint pain! They are awesome!
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

That's very interesting, and fantastic to hear pinkandpink – thanks for the information! Have you noticed your running style change with the Vibrams?

Happy running,
Benjohn
Redro

Post by Redro »

Very interesting Benjohn. I graduated from Get Running a while back - and that old knee injury has started to come back. Coincedentally I bought Born to Run at Chicago airport on the way home last week. What an inspiring book and perhaps it was not coincidence at all. What he says makes perfect sense from my own experience. In the late 70's I ran 2 56 k ultra marathons. I ran in early New Balance shoes - floppy affairs with very little support. However, as shoes become more rigid and more "supportive" so my injuries increased. I tried everything, more expensive shoes, orthotics, knee surgery. But it just got worse. I reckon it is time to go back to basics and run the way we ran for millions of years before Nike came on the scene. Just not sure whether to get Vibrams - or Nike Free. Sounds like you love your Vibrams. Have you run any long distances in them? By the way, if you have not read the book I suggest you do so. It's a great read.
wrxmania

Post by wrxmania »

I have just bought a pair of Saucony ProGrid Kinvara - VERY light and feel good when on.

Not yet run in them but the reviews are excellent and I have already done a bit of work to get my mid/forefoot striking, luckily not a natural heel striker.

Will be interested to see how I get on with them.

Brian.
samjdalton

Post by samjdalton »

Will be very interested to hear. I've been looking lustfully at the Nike Free shoes...
Redro

Post by Redro »

Which Vibrams do you have, Benjo - and now that you have been running in them for a few more months, are you still so enthusiastic about them?
pinkandpink

Post by pinkandpink »

Update: Still loving the Vibrams! Just ran a 5K fun run in them on Saturday. Noticed about 5 other people out of hundreds wearing them. I got lots of questions about them--I was startled a little because I don't ever think about them once I am running with them. Anyway, I think it is funny that people ask first thing "Do you like them?" Well, obviously...if I am running a 5K in them. :lol: Since I am such a running newbie I just say that they are very comfortable to run in.

I have noticed a change in my form. I think your body naturally starts bending your knees more and I'm taking shorter but quicker strides. No heel strikes! If I am feeling fatigued I will pull my headphones from my ears and listen to my steps--if it sounds like my feet are slapping the ground, I change my pace and my form.

Courtney
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Sorry not to reply before. I've decided I so really like "bare" foot running. It did take a lot longer than I thought to adjust, and I think I still have some way to go. I like it though and I've had no issues beyond slight sore ankles for a few hours after earlier runs. Oh — my calves really suffered to start too! Massage and stretching very important!

The real positive is I have had weak knees in the past and they now feel stronger. My knee caps used to both be out at the sides because of bad muscle balance. They seem to be coming to the centre now. I've had less knee pain in everyday life.

I've also found my feet seem stronger. The shoes are snugger anyway, but I have less trouble with surface irregularities straining my ankles.

So far I don't find it easier in minimal shoes, but I usually enjoy the run more :-)

To answer a question I just noticed, I have the Vibrams Speed model. The furthest I've run in them to date is about 7k. I love wearing them, and would do all the time but they tend to get smelly quite quickly ;-)
Redro

Post by Redro »

Thanks for the info Benjohn. Apparently you can throw them in the washing machine, so that should fix the pong problem!! The more I read about this, the more I think it is not something you can dive straight into - having been used to wearing padded heels, supported arches, anti pronation guff etc for years and years. Perhaps it is better to wear an intermediate minimilist shoe? Such as the ones Nike and New Balance are selling. I guess Vibram does have some slighly more padded models in their range. It does all seem like quite a radical concept - but one that makes a lot of sense, the more you think and read about it. If I could fix my knee problem, I would run an ultra marathon again. Perhaps I should take the plunge and get myself some Vibrams!